Schizophrenia.com

How many times have you been to the hospital?

Slightly playing devil’s advocate, but yes… there is some pacing and some eating and purging for fun
But it’s more completely scary or elating or amazing or spiritual
I did lots of yoga and meditated a lot
Psychosis keeps you occupied even drawing or writing or making things

I go by the premise that they can’t lock you up if you decide to be there
From a film called hurricane about the boxer who should have been the champion of the world

Are you compliant with medication?

Good question
Yes
But I don’t think I realised being bulimic was a way of being non compliant
I thought it takes 45 mins to take full effect

1 Like

Oh I was asking OP if he took meds, for some reason I already figured you did.

The only reason I ask is because getting on and staying on the right meds are what helped me stay out of the hospital.

2 Likes

I wish they had places like that near me. As much as I hate the hospital, I am so ADD, anxiety ridden and delusional, I have wondered if I shouldn’t live there. But the way hospitals are, I wouldn’t want to live in one. Right now, I rent a room from my dad but I might be moving in with a friend soon. I have way too much going on to work. I have been on SSDI since 2016. I hate being poor. I wish I could work. I hold out hope that my insomnia and anxiety will get better and I can work. I’d love the extra money.

I don’t blame you. Being cooped up with people crazier than you is scary and it happens a lot, especially if you have Medicare and get sent to a lousy hospital far away. It’s not like a normal hospital where people have boundaries and the staff isn’t burnt out and ignoring most patients.

Yeah most places don’t have a Crisis Care, but some might have something like that. I was glad to find out about the program in my county here in northern VA.

I take 1mg Risperdal a day and sometimes I don’t take it because it makes me like a zombie. Reality makes me depressed. I prefer to be delusional but it’s not healthy and I DON’T like going to the hospital. I need to take my meds consistently. I know.

1 Like

I had real problems with my med at first, they had started me out on 20 mg. We slowly decreased, 15, then 10, then 5 was not enough, he suggested 7.5 and wouldn’t you know that was the magic number… I still feel awake after taking it but it keeps the delusions and paranoia away. I just deal with voices but they can’t convince me of anything weird anymore.

Really hope you get better, I know it’s tough :neutral_face:

My suggestion is to try and find a good med and go as low dose as you possibly can without losing the positive effects.

1 Like

Like other people in this thread I have lost count/don’t remember the exact number of times. I would guess I was in the hospital for Mental Illness related things about 5 or 6 times. Like agent101g, I would say less than 10 for sure.

2 Likes

Once. I was never hospitalised on initial episode but my second one landed me in hospital last year.

2 Likes

Twice. Once first episode and once after I stopped meds for 2yrs and relapsed. Though there was one time where I smoked weed while I was on med and became psychotic, police brought me to the emergency, they just gave me extra AP and sent me back home. Its the only time I became psychotic while on meds, its when I smoked weed.

2 Likes

I had my first episode in 2015 and was started on 2 meds. I was psychotic the whole time I was taking them and then had a major psychotic episode in Feb 2016 and went to the hospital.

2 Likes

3 times.
Once voluntary during the early 1990s
Twice involuntarily both times during 2016

But I’ve been extremely close one time during my divorce.

I should have been hospitalized then.

1 Like

I don’t even know, less than 10. My ex once said it was 8 or 9, but I think he’s including the times I was in the ICU for suicide attempt close calls. So maybe 7 mental hospitals? And that would be over a 8 year period.

1 Like

Nine. Once for one day. Once for 8 months.

2 Likes

Including outpatient and inpatient maybe 7-8 times.

Longest stint was 5 months in a mental health facility

1 Like

4 times all in 2013.

1 Like
  1. Felt bad
  2. Relapse
  3. Sleep problems
1 Like

I’ve personally been hospitalized 4 times in the past 2 years and about 3 months. Nothing wrong with seeking help. I see you say it was Involuntary, so I just wanted to add that part in there. 3 times voluntarily for me. The first time was the only time I didn’t have a say.

1 Like

2 times each for 4 months

1 Like