How many people here abstain from alcohol and street drugs?

I don’t use any street drugs at all anymore. I never did anything stronger than marijuana in my younger years. I quit pot when I was about 48 years old never to return. I am now 57. It always had a bad effect on me worsening my psychosis. I don’t know why I participated. Probably to fit in with the crowd. Anyway, I always drank alcohol as a social drinker on the weekends only when I went out to the clubs. But, I was never hooked by any means. I didn’t even like the taste of alcohol. I just drank to fit in. I only rarely have a drink now. Maybe an Amaretto and coffee now and then, which is delicious. But, that is all. I do take prescription pills though. Tramadol 50 mg one pill twice a day as needed for pain, which is a narcotic, and Klonipin 0.5 mg as needed for severe anxiety. I take both of these regularly but I am not addicted to them. I take the Tramadol in combination with Naproxen which is a strong NSAID and it helps the Naproxen work better. I have pretty bad degenerative osteoarthritis all over my body and this combination helps make life bearable.

4 Likes

I abstain from both, no desire for either, I was never very good at drinking, always had a bad outcome and never really enjoyed it, so it just faded away

5 Likes

I haven’t been drinking alcohol lately because I was diagnosed with non-alcoholic fatty liver disease. So I’m abstaining from alcohol for the sake of my liver. I used to smoke pot with friends.

One time, I was at this outdoor festival and someone handed me a box of pot brownies. People told me that I ate about 13 to 14 of them. I have no recollection of eating any of them, but people say that’s how much I ate. Shortly after I ate those pot brownies I fainted and lost consciousness and people told me I almost died. I woke up in the hospital with an IV in my arm.

Another time I was smoking pot with a couple friends and I got a rapid heartbeat. I felt like I was going to faint that time too. I wound up in the hospital with an IV for that event as well.

So now I try not to smoke Marijuana because I believe I have a bad reaction to it. So no alcohol and no Marijuana. I’ve never tried any other street drugs besides Marijuana.

3 Likes

I haven’t touched alcohol in decades and I never gotten into drugs except for the time I was stupid enough to try Mescaline, and some pot in college.
The only addiction I have is with food.
I tend to overeat especially when stressed.

4 Likes

I’m an alcoholic, but I no longer drink. I haven’t had a drink since June 20th of last year. I rarely smoke marijuana anymore, used to do that a lot more. Marijuana is the only illegal drug I’ve messed with. I used to have a curiosity about mushrooms, still could easily get them if I wanted them, but I know it’s a bad idea so I won’t be trying it. I’m too prone to addiction to be trying new substances, anyway.

3 Likes

I drank alcohol regularly in 7th grade, so is that 11-12? Then I started getting visits from demons, and started attending church when 12-13 and stopped drinking and dumped the friends who had by then started using pot… I’ve tasted various alcoholic beverages (literally a sip or two) since then, and tend to like things like Bourbon and Kahlua… but haven’t even tasted any in years. Never did drugs.
I joke sometimes that “food is my drug of choice”, but it’s true. I don’t just eat food, I obsess about food, use food to feel better, and hate food for its control over me.

2 Likes

I’m trying to go a year without drinking. We’ll see if I make it.

3 Likes

I don’t drink or do drugs and have no desire to do either. I only take my prescribed AP and mood stabilizer.

2 Likes

I had a four year addiction to crack. I drank my share of alcohol too. But i did the smartest thing I ever did in my life and I joined AA and got clean in 1990. I have not touched drugs or alcohol since then.

7 Likes

Never used any illegal drugs. I do drink but not often at all. Maybe once or twice a month if even that.

2 Likes

I spent several years drinking and smoking weed just to handle what was going on in my crazy life. I have been sober for years now and I do not miss it at all.

3 Likes

I dont do drugs, smoke, or drink

4 Likes

I take my recovery pretty seriously and taking drugs or drinking is pretty much a guaranteed way to mess that up. I got this illness from taking drugs too.
I hope I never go back.

3 Likes

I am a recovering addict from alcohol and pain pills. I have been sober for six years.

6 Likes

I’ve pretty much abstained from street drugs and alcohol my whole life. I can’t give people personal experience about doing drugs because I haven’t except for alcohol a little bit. Don’t really feel like I’m missing anything. I have many reasons for doing that mostly because I’m pretty sure the statistics for drug users are good. All of the drugs have some risk tied to them even if it is mostly that they are illegal. Even weed. I know people that were busted with it. They have a misdemeanor for their whole life because of that. Didn’t seem worth it before I got sz. And now that I have sz hallucinogens seem stupid as hell. Why do people want to hallucinate. Maybe they have good hallucinations but mine would be all bad as my natural ones are.

3 Likes

No drugs or alcohol for me, I just think my life is hard enough without adding that crap to the mix.

4 Likes

That’s smart. Keep it that way.

1 Like

Good job @Anna!
Yes Keep it up!

1 Like

I love craft beer.

no drugs. no alcohol.

in fact, I was scared of root beer because it sounded alcoholic.