How many of you took treatment for High prolactin levels?

This is what high prolactin does to you… I realized too late that there are dopamine agonists to treat this…
https://www.uptodate.com/contents/high-prolactin-levels-and-prolactinomas-beyond-the-basics

1 Like

I didn’t read the full article,

I’ve had a baby and nursed him so I feel everything is in check.

What does the dopamine agonist treat?

Sexual side effects?

Abilify is a dopamine agonist so you don’t have to worry.

1 Like
3 Likes

Good news,

Even though I don’t match up with any of these effects, I’d still find some way to worry about it.

1 Like

It’s right there at the Top of the page: Symptoms caused by elevated blood prolactin (which is caused by most antipsychotics)

Women — When a high blood prolactin concentration interferes with the function of the ovaries in a premenopausal woman, secretion of estradiol (the main form of the hormone estrogen) decreases. Symptoms include irregular or absent menstrual periods, infertility, menopausal symptoms (hot flashes and vaginal dryness), and, after several years, osteoporosis (thinning and weakening of the bones). High prolactin levels can also cause milk discharge from the breasts.

Men — When a high blood prolactin concentration interferes with the function of the testicles, the production of testosterone (the main male sex hormone), and sperm production. Low testosterone causes decreased energy, sex drive, muscle mass and strength, and blood count (anemia). If levels remain low for several years, bone strength may decrease (osteoporosis). High levels of prolactin in the blood also cause difficulty in getting an erection, as well as breast tenderness and enlargement.

Does prolactin levels return to normal once off antipsychotic medication??

I’m on abilify, the least troublesome for prolactin elevation. Then again I’m on a tiny dose.

It depends on the antipsychotic medication you take/took… If you take some strong antipsychotics the high prolactin levels might not go back down to normal not even in 5+ years after you stop the antipsychotic treatment. You need to take treatment for High Prolactin even if you come off your antipsychotic medication…

1 Like

Aripiprazole can treat high orolactin to some extent, it may lower it.