How many of you read?

I like to read but have found that I don’t have the concentration for really long books. I couldn’t get into “Dune” but could read John Steinbeck.

2 Likes

Im struggling to get through the wheel of time though i have enjoyed what ive read

I decided to try audiobook instead. I think jt will be easier for me.

1 Like

I love reading, but i do get concentration issues. My meds were reduced in feb and i started having problems. I couldn’t read more than a paragragh at a time. Even that was difficult. Books were so overwhelming. But now my meds are back to their normal level, and i can concentrate for longer. Usually a few pages at a time. It may not seem like much but it feels good to read again. Right now im reading 2 dog training books so i can train my puppy.

2 Likes

I love reading. But I understand the novel in parts and sometimes I lose concentration. Because the voice messes up the reading. However, I keep on reading at least 50 pages a day to not lose the habit. I would like to understand different genres and sometimes I read mostly books that deal with day to day life difficulties and also fictional novels.

2 Likes

When I’m ill I can’t seem to read anything, now that I’m well I read book’s on my kindle all the time.

2 Likes

I read. A lot. But I do go through periods where it gets very hard and things come across as gibberish. I think I just read so much when I can read that I make up for missed reading quickly after I go through a period of no concentration (so I’ve somehow been surviving college). So for periods of time I will read jack then I will sit down on a good day and pound out 200 or so pages. I read very dense stuff, usually primary source philosophical texts/theory, but I read very ahead of schedule since my concentration is finicky. I am not medicated, currently. I never plan to go back on medication, if I can help it, because my ability to focus on texts is very important to me.

When I start getting funny, though, sometimes this will result in increased reading. When I get real loopy I tend to latch onto philosophical theory and take it in and come up with systems that frankly do not make sense once I snap out of it, but that bug/drive in me may contribute to why I read what I do and want to pursue the career. This aspect of ingesting massive amounts of abstract information and system building gets tanked by any sort of medication that chills my mind out. (This is not me vouching for anyone going off of meds, by the way).

If I were taking meds I think I would have more problems with it. When I can’t concentrate well but I’m not in crisis mode I will often feed articles I have to read through a text-to-speech engine and follow along with the reading. Text-to-speech can be helpful.

I only built up to reading as much as I do with lots of practice over years, by the way, so it’s not some innate thing I think. Focus is honeable with practice, even if you do have a condition. Just take it slowly.

2 Likes
  1. Yes, constantly.
  2. Cheesy horror and SF novels for recreation, insanely detailed insurance policy wordings at work.
  3. I can read insurance documents for an entire day without issue.
  4. Practice makes perfect. Start small, don’t stop.
2 Likes

I read a lot of online blurbs. I don’t have problems reading.

2 Likes

I read a few pages every day, but I usually have to stop sooner than I’d want, due to loss of interest in the topic.

I love reading. I read something every day. Horror, sci-fi, fantasy, noir, mystery, crime, you name it. Typically I read several books a week. :books:

1 Like

When I was in school last year I had to do a lot of reading out of a textbook and a few novels. I could read both with no problem but I don’t read much for pleasure outside of class.

1 Like

I made my concentration fine tuned. So now when I read I struggle with comprehension. I am in the dark. I have no intellectual light. It doesn’t have to happen to you, just don’t get too manic and burn out and go insane. That’s what happened to me. I was born a fragile person and somehow avoided damage for my entire childhood.

I haven’t read lately, but I have done some reading in my time. I’ve read all of Shakespeare’s works, the major tragedies several times.

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.