How many here have savings?

I always start dreaming heavily of having savings when I stop smoking. I am on day 5 of being stopped completely and I hope it sticks this time. Anyways, I just wondered how many here actually can save money every month on what they make?

When I lived in supervised apartments, my rent was only 25% of my income. I used to put aside 25$ every week in an investments account and soon it piled up to become 2000$. I withdrew everything on my third and last psychotic break and I don’t recall what I did with the money except pay for a termination of contract fee for my cable. Now I don’t earn enough to cover rent and put money aside since I was forced to leave that housing program after stopping meds…

I’m sorry @ekoms i know what it’s like to lose a lot of money because of being unstable. It happened to me too years ago.

1 Like

Yeah, I used to work at this Sushi joint and one of the cooks said he got his cable suspended because he owed 500$ to the company. I went and withdrew that amount on my credit card and gave it to him. My dad was furious!! In my head whatever you give out of charitable act comes back tenfold… In retrospect I was being careless with my money and could have done so many things with what I had, but hey, I was in psychosis! The guy later returned the 500$ to me a year after when I was in need of rent money! :smile:

2 Likes

well, that is a wonderful story. I am generous with my money when I have it too and it’s a curse I think. I want to buy a new car, and so that’s about 3 years of putting away $300 a month. I think it’s doable.

1 Like

Good luck with that jukebox. I find it hard to save money because then I can’t treat myself to the little things like breakfast or snacks… 300$ a month is basically what I have after everything else is paid, I wanted to save it to buy a plane ticket and move to the Islands in the Pacific (French Polynesia) but I think it will be impossible to deprive myself from this much every month for a year…

What kind of car are you looking to buy?

haha…I don’t know…probably something like a Kia or one of the more affordable cars like that. I don’t want a car payment so it would have to be payed in full when I get the car. Right now I drive an old beat up Ford pickup my mom loaned to me. It doesn’t have a spare tire, gets horrible gas mileage and has no air conditioner so I just use it to get around town. I want to travel !! So I need a new car.

1 Like

Thanks for the reply! I hope you get around to getting the car you want! You deserve it! We had a Kia Rio before and it wasn’t very reliable but ancient model, myself I’d want a PT Cruiser.

1 Like

Those are really cute cars the PT Cruisers…I would really like to afford a Honda Civic but I would have to buy used if I got one at the price I want to spend.

1 Like

moving this up so maybe I get some more replies? anybody got any savings?

I’ve got none, just a bit of debt. I should have for the amount of money i’ve had to say i still live with my parents. I’m slowly making it towards savings though, my debt will soon be paid off then i can start saving. I must save i need money for when i move out.

1 Like

I just have a mountain of debt. I was in university for three years while having psychosis and then dropped out. I wish I had dropped out when I first starting hearing voices the beginning of my second year there, but instead I thought God was talking to me. I know better now, and am on meds, and am taking classes at a community college and live at home with my parents now. I feel like such a failure.

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

1 Like