How many elderly LGBTQ do you know?

I’m 62 years old and gay. I guess LGBTQ disappear when they get to that grandpa/grandma age.

2 Likes

Most retire after the age of 25

1 Like

True. Very True.

I think a lot of lgbt people in your age bracket didn’t survive because of the AIDS crisis. I didn’t personally have any older gay role models until very recently.

2 Likes

Maybe so. My second lover came down with HIV in December of 1987. I didn’t. He died December 2007, but he lived another twenty years after testing positive. This is the one after the guy at the police department. My second partner and moved in together. My first lover couldn’t do that because of his job. We mostly saw each other on the weekends. It went on for two years though. I really should have stayed here when I lost my job and moved back in with my mom to survive.

He was 45 when he died.

1 Like

My gay uncle died of AIDS while I was in high school. He would’ve been a few years older than you I think.

1 Like

Thanks Bowens. I’m sorry to hear he died. A lot of people died back in the 1980’s and 90’s. Seemed like I was a professional funeral goer.

3 Likes

I was reading this article that says anal sex has a higher risk of HIV. Its sad that AIDS affect gay ppl more. Its not their fault. I personally don’t like anal.

1 Like

I guess there are some elderly LGBTQ people around somewhere. I haven’t met any in Little Rock.

Well, I wasn’t as sexually active as he was, and I was on top when we did anal. We didn’t do that as much as others did. We didn’t use condoms either. We mostly kissed, touched, cuddled, and did oral stuff.

1 Like

Don’t laugh. There is an actual job, “professional mourner”. In some Asian countries, it’s a big deal to have lots of people at a funeral, so paid stand-ins are employed.

1 Like

My friends mother is gay, and is going strong at 70.

1 Like

Thanks. I didn’t know that.

I’m 50 and I’ve known of some but I have a few on my facebook etc who are older than me but not by a lot. I’m happy that people I know can be free with their sexuality and it’s not such an issue. That is really such a good thing for our society but we’ve ways to go for everyone.

1 Like

When I was younger I was in the closet, but now there’s not much anyone can do to me. Times have changed a lot since 1976-1977 when I first realized I was gay. It was sometime when I was in the 12th grade at high school.

2 Likes

So sorry for your losses @ElGato

2 Likes

I know a pretty elderly lesbian woman.

She remembers integration in her school when she was a kid.

Was the only black student in her class.

She went on to be a university professor.

Anyway, she’s married to a younger woman,

But not that much younger.

She’s probably the oldest I know.

4 Likes

Just one, but I rarely see him, he is off living his own life with his partner. My uncle (through marriage,. he was closeted at the time). I’ve only seen him twice in the past 15 years. Once at his daughters wedding (my cousin) and at my aunts funeral (his ex-wife).

2 Likes

I don’t know any elderly. Only my age, a little younger, and a little older.

2 Likes

The AIDS epidemic wiped out almost an entire generation of LGBTQ. If better steps had been taken, we’d not be missing them now.

But as with COVID, the ball wasn’t just dropped, it was yeeted into the sun.

3 Likes