How long have you been unemployed? will you go back to work?

Vocational rehabilitation is tricky. What do you want to do work part time and keep your benefits? Or work more full time and give them up? If you sign up for job training which is probably what they will want you to do. That is most likely full time for three or four months. SSA get a hold of who does that and that will count as three or four months of work trial months. Making you closer to losing your benefits. I almost died just thinking about the work training they tried to sign me up for which was 40 hours a week. I would have to be up by like 7 am. I called and canceled. Where I went they met with me once a week and give me interview tips. I think itā€™s a good idea for everybody to get a job coach like that. You may end up just looking yourself. Which is how I found my jobs. The economy is good in a lot of places. It may not be that hard to find a job on your own.

I havenā€™t worked since 2010. No one thinks I can work

I have not worked for two years.

My last job was only a couple or few hours a week.
They started me off just one hour a week.

I am on the disability pension but hope to do volunteer work and maybe even study if I can afford to pay the course somehow.
But only a few hours a week.

Iā€™ve been out of work and on disability since 2011 or so. Iā€™d like to go back to the job market someday. Locksmith ideally. Medical coding possibly. Postal worker maybe. Janitorial probably. So we shall see.

I havenā€™t worked since about 2009. I worked in a saw mill then started to get sick. Worked at a Taco Bell for awhile after that. Got sick and really wasnā€™t functioning. Iā€™d like to try to get a job when I get my driverā€™s license back if I end up not going to college.

Didnā€™t work for nearly 16 months, even though i was applying for many jobs my CV did not stand up to the jobs i was applying for.As where i live all the well paid ones are in the Finacial Services Industry and i have not got experience in that field,as i have worked in Min Wage Coporate Retail for over 20+ years all my working life.I decided i did not wanā€™t to do those kind of jobs anymore so 6 months ago i started my own Ebay Uk Business.I am also planning to apply for a Goverment Micro Business Grant to help with the cost of living etc.

Agree i just done my min wage Coporate Retail BS jobs for the cash and pay for the holidays etc.Donā€™t get me wrong i donā€™t mind at the general public and dealing with them.i just found work tedious,boring,and i personally didnā€™t like one bit the moaning working collegues threatening to quit thier jobs everday,but hey guess what they are still there.Also all the Coporate BS + Brainwashing was starting to send me kinda insane!

Iā€™ve been unemployed for over 2 years. Iā€™m gonna try to get a part time job after I get social security.

Iā€™ve been on a disability pension since 2004. I did have a period working in a bookstore for a couple of months but that was really it.

I like my life. I do some volunteering to keep me occupied and live as large as I can. Usually that means keeping fit and enjoying myself. So no. I have no intentions of going back to work.

About 8 years or so.
I miss my old job, but I donā€™t know if Iā€™d be able to cope with the stress now.
I worked at daycare full-time.

Wow, some people here have really had a tough time getting work. Iā€™m so sorry to hear that. The longest iā€™ve been out of work was about 6 - 8 months. But that actually occurred while i was still going to uni, and the GFC hit at around the same time. I didnā€™t have Schizophrenia during this time period. Since iā€™ve had it, iā€™ve had to take fairly big chunks of paid leave when iā€™ve become unwell. Iā€™m not use how long this would add up to, but certainly not as long as some of you. Iā€™m thankful i still have my job. Keeps me sane.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.