How long have you been unemployed? will you go back to work?

thinking about going back to work. my case manager is talking around town to see if anyone could use me. I went to supported employment but they were not much help. I was hoping they would place me with someone that hired disabled adults but they pretty much just helped me fill out applications which I could do myself. I did manage to find a job last year, but only worked there 1 day as it proved to be too physical for me. my back hurt from lifting boxes all day. so Im looking for a less physical job this time.

besides my one day of working last year which I don’t count, I’ve now been unemployed for 5 or 6 years, im not sure.

1 Like

I’ve not been paid for work in a few years, particularly since my schizophrenia diagnosis in 2014. I recently got an extension on my A+ certification to repair computers, so maybe some computer repair is in the cards for me, as soon as I’m more comfortable around people.

3 Likes

I haven’t worked since 2012. I plan to go back to work one day.

2 Likes

yeah I was thinking about a back of the house job. one where I wouldn’t have to deal with people.

computer repair sounds like a decent job…it’s nice that you have options.

2 Likes

Computer repair is getting harder and harder to find work in, since computer prices are approaching that of a toaster, people are opting to just get a new system rather than repair old ones.

Game console repair might be the thing though, since people do want to give them more life.

2 Likes

o yeah, I didn’t really think of that.

2 Likes

Try Vocational Rehabilitation in your state. They test you, skills assess you, find work for you, and may even provide transportation to and from work, if funding is available.

You’ll be assigned a worker whose job it is to see you have an appropriate position!

1 Like

o. thanks for the tip. my case manager did mention something about voc. rehab.

1 Like

Hurts to say but I’ve never had a job yet. I’ve been on disability since I was 24 and before that I was supported by my family. I hope to have a job one day it must feel nice to be accomplishing stuff :heartbeat:

3 Likes

I don’t get much satisfaction from work I just need the money. although a lot of people do find satisfaction in their work. If I earned more in disability I would just stay at home, work out, garden, and practice guitar. but I need to go back to work so I wont be suffering in my later years. I hope to save $450,000 for retirement, not much but at least its something. I just did the math yesterday on how much I could save if I made 30k a year.

4 Likes

Been unemployed for nearly a year now. I hope to have a regular job again soon.

3 Likes

I have a retirement fund set up through my disability I put in $1200 a year and the government matches it so really $2400 is being put in a year

2 Likes

that’s nice. you live in Canada? did I see that in the selfie thread? anyways here im not allowed more than $7200 in assets or else I lose my Medicaid. I might end up cradle to grave on disability and Medicaid and whatever else.

Yes Canada. They let you have up to one million dollars in your bank account before you lose disability I assume because care for the severly disabled is costly at least that’s what my tax accountant told me and my mom

3 Likes

Bluerose, interesting.

I realize that they stop paying you if you make more than $24k a year, but I guess you stay “in the system” until your bank account surpasses $1 million.

That’s pretty reasonable.

1 Like

Speaking of 1 million dollars, I’ve done the math. 1 million dollars will last you 83 years, if you only spend 1000 dollars a month.
Personally, for me, that would be enough to retire early

1 Like

You have to factor in inflation, both from living costs and currency devaluation.

1 Like

I haven’t worked in 22 yra, im 42 now…depression first disabled me, then I got sz at 26, and that has kept me out of work…

1 Like

I’m on Social Security disability and haven’t worked since December 2007. That job I had for two years, but before that I would work for my aunt-in-law 3 to 6 months, blow a fuse and quit, then she would hire me back in a month or two.

1 Like

Yep. Closed my PC repair shop circa 2012 when the bottom started to fall out of the market. Just cheaper to replace than to repair. Also helps consumers that Windows 10 security is 20x what Windows 7 and its predecessors offered. (Not helpful to techs, however.)

1 Like