How long does it take to develop insight into your illness?

How long did it take for you to develop insight?Do you have insight? And how did you know you developed insight?

Several years of heavy medication.

Yes. CBT and therapy really help strengthen it.

Stopped seeing conspiracies everywhere and started to find former beliefs silly and non-sensical.

1 Like

I’ve had sza for 20 years and still sometime lose insight.

But yes it took the return of my sza in 2012 to understand it better.

1 Like

It took me about 7 years. Those were a long 7 years. When I figured out I hallucinated was when I started to think maybe my doctor isn’t crazy.

I hallucinated some terrifying stuff. I was in a hospital on suicide watch. And then a little girl came to talk with me. She wasn’t terrifying. Just asked me my name and other small talk. She came in to the room through a wall and a chair. I talked to her but I was like how in the hell did that just happen.

It still took me a while longer to figure it out but that was the catalyst.

1 Like

I had insight straight away, i am fcked with sz.

2 Likes

I was convinced it was a problem with my concentration so I started reading.

1 Like

I have insight now, took a couple of months since my last relapse.

1 Like

Listening to conversations, reading books, listening to the radio shows seemingly guided by something from answer to answer. Psychology can help. I don’t believe my voices are anything but me.

1 Like

It took a month of being on Geodon to realize my delusions were delusions and not real. I heard voices for six years before going to get diagnosed.

1 Like

I am trying to see if I would develop insight or if it’s all real. I’m trying to get therapy but I’m having little success with that. I will say that this forum is helping me a lot. It’s kind of like group therapy, so that’s good. I hope one day I would develop insight and not suffer so much.

1 Like

I’ve encountered several people who have small time YouTube channels who are diagnosed sz and sza. You might like that.

1 Like

Do you know the names of the channels?

It took me decades to gain insight

1 Like

It’s different for everybody. For me it was three months of being psychotic and delusional. I thought three things. I thought I was perfect. I thought I was a genius and I thought nothing was wrong with me and that everybody else had the problem. My parents were telling me I was sick and they took me to a family friend who was a psychiatrist. I talked to him and pretty soon after that I realized that maybe everybody was right and I was the sick one, not them. It was a turning point in my recovery but I still had to be psychotic for another two years before I got stable.

1 Like

Living with schizophrenia is a popular channel, so is schizophrenia in the city. There are probably a lot, I have a hard time searching for channels on YouTube. Sorry I’m not more help.

1 Like

It’s fine. I watch the channel Living Well with Schizophrenia. That’s a nice channel as well.

It only took me a short while after properly medicated for symptoms to go away. It took several months for all delusions to fade though.

Medication never worked for me but I have insight. My hallucinations do not.

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.