How long does it get to get brain damage from not breathing?

I felt like dying for real last night. I choked during my sleep and wokeup, couldn’t breath or move for like a minute, I tried calling my parents but I had no voice and couldn’t talk due to choking. I have been choking on food, water and my own saliva since upping my risperidone to 6mg from 4mg.

I hope I didn’t get brain damage from a lack of oxygen.

I just read it takes a bit less than 5 min to get permanent brain damage and 15 min to lose consciousness. I think I am fine luckily.

That’s scary, man. Hope you are alright! @Aziz

2 Likes

Depends on oxygen intake beforehand, temperature, and myoglobin count. Some free divers can hold their breath for like 5 minutes, and a guy in America fell Under the ice and survived after more than 30 minutes!

1 Like

what the heck, trachea. you think?

1 Like

I think you will be fine if it was just one minute.

They did a study with divers who hold their breath for 5 minutes repetitively and the study was inconclusive if it causes brain damage.

The concern is that repetitive exposures to severe hypoxia (lowered oxygen supply), such as that experienced by individuals training and competing in static apnea diving events, could cause neurological damage over time. The researchers recommended further research on free divers that would begin early in their careers and follow them for years to monitor their neurological function.

1 Like

Yea I think its the trachea muscles not opening. I read antipsychotics can cause this and cause choking, swallowing problems.

1 Like

@Ribbon @Headspark

I think the more healthy you are, the more you can hold your breath. Unfortunately I have shallow breaths and I am obese 300lb.

1 Like

Then probably around 3 minutes is your limit I would think.

1 Like

this is why I am having issues with my meds…the combination is causing breathing issues…Im goin to take the one i need most abilify and the rest i cant…

1 Like

Sorry Aziz. I think you should lower the risperidone… this is scary

2 Likes

You should make appt with your doc to discuss whats happening

1 Like

https://www.wired.com/story/what-it-takes-to-hold-your-breath-for-24-minutes-yeah-its-a-thing/

Yea I am calling tomorrow. Last time he said its because I have a dry mouth but he doesn’t know well about psych meds as he’s not a psychiatrist. I already reduced my risperidone from 6 to 5mg today, if it works he’ll write me a new prescription, if not I will ask him to refer me to a psychiatrist.

1 Like

Usually 4 mg is more than enough for positive symptoms.6 mg is too much as they says.raising medicine doesn t solve everything neighter motivation nor anger.just good for positive symptoms.if you want to solve anger issue its better to consider anti deppressants

1 Like

It took about two minutes to fish me out of the deep end of the pool at Camp Kiwanis after I blubbed during swimming lessons and I’m not sure how much longer to get my heart going properly again. I came out of it fine. No breathing for a minimum of two minutes.

2 Likes

Are you sure you don’t suffer from sleep apnea?? It would explain you being constantly bed bound.

Talk to your doc and do a sleep study!

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.