How long do you have to be mentally ill

…to qualify for a pension ? I got diagnosed with 19 years old in 1988 and got on the disability pension in 2000.

i’m not sure… i was on sick leave at work and i wanted to go back but they said i couldn’t work anymore and so i just stayed on sick leave… and i’m still on that right now… but here in belgium that is same like disability.

2 Likes

I went from boarding school to a 1st psych admission from there(including several months on a closed ward) to getting Non-Contributory Invalidity Pension(at a reduced rate because I lived with my parents). That was in the space of about 4-5 months .

1 Like

In the UK. So long as you have the symptoms and diagnosis, you are eligible to immediate state support.

I worked full-time from 19 to maybe 30 to 32. I’ve got a pension from the Bank I used to work for. I also earned enough Social Security credits to qualify for disability and retirement pay. My SzA didn’t kick in until my early 30’s, and I couldn’t work.

1 Like

All the time. 40 years and counting.

1 Like

I am on that, been a year. How long can you stay on that? Here it pays more than disability.

1 Like

yea i’m not sure how long i can stay on that… they never said i couldn’t keep it so i think it’s fine… it pays more than disability here too…

2 Likes

they guessed my disability percentage though so i think it’s counted as disability here. They said im +66% disabled so i think i can stay on sick leave as long as they let me… before i had to go see them every couple years but last time i had to go they said they would put me on a list that i don’t need to be examined again cause i can’t get better…

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.