How long do I need to use antidepressants?

I was on one for a 4 years and when I tried to stop it I became suicidal. Now im on a different antidepressant - trintellix. No major side effects and feeling completely depression free. Its been 3 months im on it. I am planning to use it indefinitely, but I also want to try to go without any antidpressants in the future. Can depression be treated and cured with an effective antidepressant after like 9 months of use?

2 Likes

I don’t think so.

forever. it is not a bad thing. i am so so thankful to my AD. It works

1 Like

I’m on Wellbutrin for 2 years now. My life has improved on it.

1 Like

Ask your doctor these questions and see what they say.

In my experience, it has been said that antidepressants can help you feel well enough to utilize therapy and make changes in your life (or learn other ways to cope) so that you might feel better without the meds.

Also in my experience, it has been said that many people do not do this once they start to feel better on meds. Once they get off meds, they are in the same place they were before.

Also, your antidepressant might be prescribed as a part of a cocktail of other meds, whether it’s to make them more effective or counteract a side effect.

Please don’t listen to me though. Ask your doctor. They are your best resource.

I’ll be on my AD for the rest of my life.

If I recall correctly, the average episode of major depression lasts 16–24 months. Depressive episodes tend to be self-limited, even without psychiatric intervention, but that’s 16–24 months of misery and pure hell.

If an antidepressant works - i.e., if you are no longer depressed - the usual recommendation is to continue treatment for 12–16 months AFTER you get back to yourself, to minimize the likelihood of relapse.

If depression returns some time after an antidepressant (that was helping) is stopped, then the recommendation is generally to continue treatment indefinitely (i.e., the rest of your life).

Here’s a video by a psychiatrist that addresses your question. Skip ahead to 13:03.