How long did it take you to get back on your feet after your last Psychosis?

Lots of stumbling blocks in the way

Sometimes you feel better, other times you get kicked in the teeth

How do we all operate I will never know

Our reward system is taken away from us because we can’t handle it

Dopamine and such

1 Like

No, I never really tried getting off meds(I never really took the haldol I was supposed
to for any length of time from my first psychosis)…but yes I have been hospitalized several times.

1 Like

You could try lowering your meds for a year and see what it does to you. If you still have no symptoms, continue lowering step by step.

1 Like

Thats dangerous, I relapsed last summer lowering my Invega dosage, you can slip into psychosis quickly also

1 Like

I know. I would probably advise myself the same thing if I was replying to myself. I should probably take my own advice and not try it.

I’ve Tried lowering my dose once. Got psychotic. Upped it again. All with full approval of a pdoc. It’s about finding the right balance but I settled for the max dose of Invega. That works best for me.

1 Like

I am already stable on minimum dose of Abilify for Schizophrenia. IDK. I’m just looking for a change. Maybe I can do it with meds.

1 Like

You can try with Dr help but don’t expect it to work just because its the Dr stopping your meds. I tappered off Abilify with the help of my Dr, it was a disaster. I had a few good months at first but then I lost control over myself and over my psychosis. I self isolated and went living alone in a very far country, I lost all my money and came back. Made stupid mistakes and decisions. I still had psychosis symptoms and they got worse with time. At the end I was so paranoid that I always had a knife on me.

2 Likes

If you don’t have much side effects I would just stay on it. The minimum dose shouldn’t impact your physical health too much. You should consider yourself lucky that your stable on the min dosage.

1 Like

It always takes years

1 Like

I’m just gonna stay on meds now

1 Like

I’m still recovering from it.

It’s been not quite 2 years. A little more than two years since the bad break, a little less since they started getting all the psychotic symptoms under control.

1 Like

Not happy that you went through ■■■■, but it’s helpful for me to hear this.

My house is a wreck, I’ve gained weight, and my motivation is gone.

Good to know I can come out of this. At least the weight gain part - that alone would make me feel better.

3 Likes

The last time I went psychotic and involuntarily hospitalized was in 2016.
It took me approximately 4 years to recuperate.

But in all honesty I’m not fully 100%

3 Likes

2 years of psychosis, 1 year of half-psychosis, 1 year of oh my god what did I do, and then 3 more years and here we are. So I guess the short answer is a couple years.

2 Likes

My last psychosis because I went off meds was a year and a half ago, and the one before that was 5 years ago. It seems like the moment I’ve almost rebuilt, something happens. I still don’t know what I’m capable of, and feel like no one can accurately predict//give me guidance. I try so hard and currently feel stagnant, like I’m going nowhere. Basic tasks like keeping my house clean escape me. I have managed to almost complete one college course and maintain a very easy part-time job. My life feels boring, I want to travel.

1 Like

It’s been about 1.5 years since I heard the doctors in the wall talking about me dying from Vfib. I’ve had other symptoms since then but all minor compared to that. That happened right after I went off Seroquel without my pdocs permission. That was the worst episode cuz it totally took over my reality. It’s been better since then but some symptoms linger. I was last in the H in August but not from psychosis.

1 Like

It took me a full year to recover from my first episode in 2010 and it took about 6 months with the other ones. I became psychotic again because I had stopped my meds without permission.

1 Like

Roughly two years, to turn from residual, to prodormal, to psychosis.

1 Like

It took me somewhere between 1 and 2 years to get back on my feet after my last episode.

1 Like