How long did it take to receive your diagnosis?

Schizophrenia took a few weeks, then schizoaffective took about 3 years,

I was diagnosed paranoid sz when I was in the hospital then a few months after changed to sza.

1 Like

took a few months for sz but took around 2 years for a sza diagnosis

1 Like

I was promised a social security check at a time when I had no income, in exchange for my diagnosis. I was naive. I went from someone who suffered from an anxiety disorder and depression to someone with schizoaffective disorder. That’s how I lost the only friend I had at that time. Going on disability proved to be social suicide. I don’t know, someone who I knew had been to similar depths of dispair I was in was suddenly a cold and cruel back stabber. But then the world around me seemed to have turned cold, cruel, dark and insane. Dark times.

1 Like

6 months in hospital.

1 Like

7 months for sz my first doctor whom I didn’t like said bipolar through and through, no way she was right, but sometimes I believe I’m sza.

1 Like

Bout a year… Went to the doc a fee times but finally had a full blown “episode” and went to the ward for 3 months and they diagnosed me

1 Like

My brother went from prodromal to psychotic in 7 years. He went to top psychiatrists for a year who were unable to diagnose classic stereotypical schizophrenia. He eventually went unconscious with mind malfunctions, was diagnosed, was put in a mental hospital, and was given sz drugs a year after first going to a psychiatrist.

1 Like

I was in hospital for about 3 months. When I went to my regular doctor to get my prescription I found out my diagnosis was paranoid schizophrenia. I think my family knew my diagnosis before me.

1 Like

my GP as a kid suspected I was developing it for years, but I refused to believe him. When I had a breakdown at Basic Training, they diagnosed me there…took the shrink there about 2 hours of asking questions…

1 Like

I think I hold the record for the longest undiagnosed. I was diagnosed with a schizotypal personality disorder when I was in the military, and was given a medical discharge. After which I became homeless for a year and a half. Then I came home and lived under the protection of my family, and refused to have anything to do with the mental health system. I was diagnosed 17 years later, when I finally decided to go back to a pdoc. She diagnosed me off of years of my GP describing increasing paranoia, and my old military records. She said the schizotypal personality disorder was my prodromal stage.

1 Like

From first seeing a pdoc to getting my first diagnosis of sz it took about 20 months. It took a further 8 years for the sz-a diagnosis. It then took a further 22 years for the diagnosis to change to personality disorder Nos. Finally the diagnosed was changed to paranoid PD sometime in the last 7 years or so but I only knew in 2013.

1 Like

My first diagnosis was Paranoid Schizophrenia, it took about a year.

My second diagnosis was Bipolar, it took about 2 months.

My third diagnosis was Schizoaffective, this took about a year.

My current diagnosis is Bipolar/Schizoaffective - I really have 2 different Diagnoses.

Took about a year.

1 Like