How is your temper?

Do you have a short fuse?

It really takes a lot for me to get angry.
In the past I used to feel bad when I got angry and then I would apologise. Nowadays I do not apologise unless I feel that I was really out of line.

I have a few hot buttons that set me off, but 99.99% of the time i don’t have a problem.

1 Like

I almost never express anger. A lot of things that make other people angry I don’t get angry about. But I don’t get angry. What I do is I brood. Anger builds up in me. I can be morose. I’m a fairly withdrawn person, and as long as no one interferes with my breathing space I don’t jump bad. I think I am a little inconsistent in how I deal with anger. Because I am withdrawn I don’t really have a stake in a lot of the social politics that go on.

1 Like

I have a quick temper but it doesn’t last long. I’m an irritable person but I’m very soft underneath.

2 Likes

I’m always terrified of blowing up when talking to someone that tries to scam me.

1 Like

For most of my life I have been very slow to anger, to where I was known for being almost impossible to rile up…but after developing ptsd my personality did like a 180 in that aspect…suddenly the tiniest most insignificant things make me furiously, murderously angry. I know it’s irrational so I really do my best to hold it in and never take it out on other people, but it is so painful.

3 Likes

Unfortunately anger is my “go to” emotion. No matter how I really might feel: such as scared, sad, or lonely, it will first be expressed as anger. I’m working on this.

1 Like

My anger is in check. I’m pretty slow to anger unless I watch the news.

2 Likes

Have you experienced a delay or pause in your anger since you are working on it? I’m just curious because I have a sibling with a very short fuse and I get the impression that she is trying to scale down on her anger issues.

I’m pretty layed back, unless someone targets me, I don’t go looking for trouble

2 Likes

I don’t really feel anger. When I do, I absorb it.
I’ma pretty docile person, and I was raised to think that if you reacted to something with anger, the fault was yours for choosing to let it affect you that way. So I withdraw and blame myself when I feel angry or irritated.

But I don’t often feel angry unless someone has really, really done me wrong, and even then, I try not to let it show.

2 Likes

I too have had a short fuse since developping PTSD. Before that I was very gentle. I like to be less easy to anger and I think I have gotten a bit better after trauma therapy. I only express anger against people close to me anyway, others dont feel safe enough to show my anger.

1 Like

I wish I could do trauma therapy. I feel self conscious about it because my ptsd was caused by my psychosis rather than a real life event. I am scared that a therapist would not believe I could be traumatized by psychosis.

2 Likes

I used to be slow to anger, but now I’ve got a quick fuse. If anything annoys me, my immediate urge is to murder it, whereas used to, I’d put up with it for a while first.

1 Like

I understand. For me, I went through real life abuse, but psychosis was/is a much and much bigger source of trauma, so I find it in no way strange that you developped PTSD! You shouldnt have to feel that its not a legitimate reason for PTSD. Please stand up for yourself in this. During my trauma therapy i had many different therapists, each for one or two sessions, which was their way of working. Some understood how traumatising psychosis was, some not at all, even within one organisation. I hope you have a possibility one day to work with a good therapist who understands!

1 Like

I used to get really angry and I would have serious issues calming down but I started to work on it and I rarely feel angry if ever now. I’m way too passive now and people can get mad at me and I won’t argue back, just go into my shell and apologize.

1 Like

It depends on how Manic or mixed I am.
Naturally I’m a peaceful and calm person.

2 Likes

I used to hardly ever get angry, even when other people did rotten mean things to me. Just this past year, I learned it’s OK to be angry and show it. Certain people deserve it and they know they deserve it. I also leaned that it is OK to be angry sometimes with people close to me.

When I was working unloading trucks when I was in my mid-thirties I worked with teenagers and twenty year old’s who often gave me a hard time and I just took it. But even the people who disrespected me used to say, "Man, why don’t you ever get angry!!?? They would tell me to get angry.

I show anger now but I still don’t really have a bad temper. I admit, sometimes I have the urge to punch certain people in the mouth when they push me but that doesn’t happen very often. I’m 56 now and the last time I actually got a little violent was when I was twenty and I was in my first group home and someone spit close to me and I threw my cereal bowl at his face as hard as I could, lol. But my dad told me thirty years ago that most people go their whole adult lives without actually getting into a physical fight.

But yeah, I don’t have a bad temper.

1 Like

My story is similar to @77nick77 , I didn’t get angry for years even when I was floridly psychotic, it was always turned inwards. Until 2016 and I find myself with a near constant internal dialogue of anger. I feel really bad because people don’t deserve it but I just can’t stop it, I go through phases where I repress it but it just makes me worse, I end up in shut down, I find it better to write freely my frustrations and then tear it up. It’s an outlet in itself. I don’t know why my anger came back but it has and that’s the way I deal with it. Then i can act with control.

2 Likes

I used to get more angry at myself, for understanding any anger shown on my part, regardless if warrented, would be met with retaliation- because it was true.
Growing up, one older brother would get physically violent when he didn’t get his way, or if he just felt like it, and he was very strong and fast.
I avoided any kind of confrontation, because I knew I’d never win against a man, but don’t ever kick me to the ground and not expect me to defend myself.
It takes a LOT to get me angry, but I’d never, ever hit in anger.

1 Like