How is your life being on disability?

Ground hogs day. Same ■■■■ different day.

2 Likes

I was too bored on disability. I have to keep my mind busy or I dwell on my symptoms and they are worse and amplified.

First I went back to school and now I have gone back to work. I was so busy today I didn’t have time to think about being sick. I have two ingrown toenails and a brand new bridge in my mouth that’s annoying. Even those two things didn’t bother me today. Never thought about them. Now that I am home sitting in my chair they are bothering me.

I find school and work better than therapy so long as I can do it. I had to ease into it. Baby steps.

3 Likes

Right now my routine is to go to group therapy at the partial hospital near me. When I’m out though, my daily routine is a mess. I really don’t do much, just browse the internet and dwell in anhedonia.

1 Like

I can’t work a paid job because I get too many migraines, and I also am too inappropriate in word and deed on the job so, I get fired all of the time.

I work a volunteer job though. I go to a volunteer meeting one afternoon a week, and then I work for an hour on a volunteer job one afternoon a week. We do other things too. I enjoy it.

I like working this volunteer job because I have a lot of flexibility I wouldn’t have on a paid job.

1 Like

Life is good because my parents support me and my meds are mild in terms of side effects. I’m currently doing a day treatment program plus go to 1-4 support groups per week. They are great places to make friends. Once the school year starts I plan on tutoring part time. I’m also signing up for clubhouse and I go out almost daily at least to sit at a cafe and drink something. Sometimes I hike or walk around the neighborhood or see friends. Day treatment or a good therapist or word of mouth can help encourage and set you up with good activities in your community. But yeah, lol, life is too comfortable.

1 Like

Thank you everyone for sharing their thoughts and advice about being put on disability. I do feel a little confident about it all. Like I’ve said before it’s just a long road to recovery.

3 Likes

Part time work and running the show: paying bills going to appointments, running errands, cleaning apartment, taking care of car.

I got all the damn trappings but not nearly enough fun.

1 Like

I want off of it and want to work full time. I still dont think I can yet . I’m sick of worring about what if SSA took away my disability and I couldnt make it on my own.

2 Likes

Yeah that’s one of my fears to @anon12381882

1 Like

When I got ssi at first I didn’t try very hard to find things to occupy my time. But now I work hard around the house and I volunteer

3 Likes

I am stable on meds so life on disability isn’t bad. I am betting there not going to cut me off after 19 years, but if they do I might hurt myself.

Iam on Incapacity Benefits where I live but iam allowed to do permitted work(but can only earn a certain amount per week).I sell Part Time on Ebay, but iam currently looking to come of Benefits all together.I have recently applied for a Part Time Job Shop Assistant in Local Charity Shop and if offered the job I will take and also carrying on selling on Ebay.I have been on Benefits for the past year but before that I has always worked Full Time mainly in Retail whilst undiagnozied and whilst on meds for past 9 years for Paranoid SZ

1 Like

It’s taken a lot of pressure off

The welfare money gives me a life i am able to live without getting sick. I help my friends and family but sometimes i am a public nuance and really do only the necessities for myself. I realized i worked myself total and permanent disabled.

1 Like

I work as much as I can without risking my disability being taken away. Other than that, I don’t do much besides sleep as that’s all I feel like doing in my downtime. I’m beginning to wonder if I should take a break from working - I feel like, overall, it’s good for me, but I’m so afraid of relapsing.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.