How is thought disorder treated?

I think i said this before but i’m off my APs, but i’ve been having difficulty with racing/derailing thoughts.
Yeah i should ask my pdoc but it doesn’t seem too much to ask for experience.

3 Likes

Positive symptoms so medications.

3 Likes

Yes thought disorder is a positive symptom that needs meds. I had it off meds.

1 Like

Antipsychotics, my mother had it and it is much better now that she is on 20mg olanzapine.

Is it simply the repeated interruption of the voices that cause stuttering thoughts, or is it an actual symptom all its own?

I find this a lot more now, though I did have thoughts that simply disappeared out of my head since the brain injury. I think it’s just an extension of that for me. Maybe schizophrenia just emphasizes it

yea like the others said you need to be on APs probably… it’s best to talk about it with your pdoc.

Unfortunately AP’s didn’t help with my thought disorder / intrusive thoughts, but every person is different so they might help you.

I try to live with them, but at the moment it’s my worst symptom and i can’t find anything that helps, but try to accept them

1 Like

Meds, CBT and DBT therapy.

1 Like

Any kind of psychotic thought disorder should be treated with an AP or AP’s.

1 Like

@Putrefactio , racing thoughts are more of a sign of mania or hypomania and that would call for mood stabilizing medication or perhaps an AP if your pdoc prefers. Thought derailment is a sign of sz or sza and can be treated with AP’s. I would ask your pdoc about it.

1 Like

I have one of the worst cases of formal thought disorder my therapist has seen. Antipsychotics are the way to go, and they’re generally fairly effective at it.

2 Likes

I’ll let you know when they figure mine out…

Idk if i would actually call them racing thoughts, i just can’t stop thinking, and switching from topic to topic, that’s why i have the habit of.talking to myself because it screws with my self awareness.
It shows up in the way i talk online, sometimes things i say are non-linear or just don’t have a point.

1 Like

What you describe is for a pdoc to unscramble.