Schizophrenia.com

How have APs affected your intellectual performance?

I reckon Latuda will be my mainstay for a while, but I’m anxious regarding returning to my pre-illness level.

1 Like

İ m ok with my intelligence it didn t affect my problem solving capacity but my brain is getting more limited by time i can feel this.

2 Likes

In my case, my illness, not AP, affected my performances. It is explained when I see the starting point. Since high-school, I couldn’t concentrate well than before. But when I started to take AP, I didn’t feel any lowered abilities. Now I have a little difficulty of remembering vocab of second language I’m learning, but it’s because of aging I think. :grinning:

1 Like

My concentration has improved since starting ap’s and I am less disorganised

1 Like

I don’t think it’s much of my medicine as its is the schizophrenia. I have most likely had schizophrenia since age 9 (diagnosed at 26). I have always had memory problems, concentration issues, anger issues among other things.

1 Like

I think the abilify makes my memory a bit worse.

1 Like

It affects me a bit, but I try to push forward. I try playing puzzles to keep my mind active.

1 Like

I hear you, but my original plan before falling ill again was to apply for a PhD (as a mature student). But unless I get a great deal better first it’s not likely to happen.

My smartnes doing rite fine.

1 Like

I don’t know if it’s my meds or my sza. My meds make me feel slow and drowsy, but sza drops IQ. I am definitely slower. I can’t even remember where to put commas half the time, and I majored in English.

2 Likes

I’m not worried about my intelligence, it’s my playing dumb skills that I need to improve.

1 Like

Haldol killed my creativity, but Geodon and Seroquel leave me with a pretty good head. The only thing I don’t like about those drugs is that they physically weaken me.

1 Like

If anything, AP’s have saved my brain.

1 Like

I’ve been on APs for 27 of the last 44 years(1975- 1982,1998-2005,2006- ) . I can’t say I’ve noticed a difference, either improving or worsening my intellectual performance .

1 Like

None. Some antipsychotics improve some cognitive areas while others do not. So it depends which antipsychotic you are taking.

Once you first get psychosis or sz, your brain is pretty much disorganized, so some antipsychotic might improve intellectual areas to like 50-70% while others such as classical antipsychotic may have trivial improvements in intellectual areas. So its not antipsychotic which is to blame, its matter of chossing which antipsychotic will improve your symptoms.

But your results may vary. Some antipsychotic help some people and some do not.

My intellectual performance is messed up on benzos and EPS meds like trihexyphenidyl and benztropine. But my intellectual performance was much improved on risperidone + clozapine

Here’s one study which compares three antipsychotics effect on cognition - clozapine, risperidone, olanzapine.

http://schizophreniabulletin.oxfordjournals.org/content/25/2/233.full.pdf

1 Like

i feel like i am able to think clearly on meds, i dont really have bad negative symptoms but the meds give me back my ability to really use my intellect.

for example, when my psychosis first started i failed all my exams left school during lunch and never returned. i spent almost 2 years trying to get my mind right but i was hearing voices 24/7, once i was stable i started an online high school program and i couldn’t even use any of my credits from my one and half years of high school so i had to start from the beginning.

basically i finished it in less than 4 months, i ended up graduating online high school a few months sooner than i would have graduated public school if i had never left

1 Like

my AP feels like a placebo I feel or think noting after it

1 Like

I feel like the illness does more damage to IQ than the meds. But I think some meds do a lot of damage too. It’s both in my opinion. I think the meds are supposed to help and protect us. But it does slow the mind down and prune connections that lead to outside the box thinking but which could lead to severe delusions. Just my 2 cents.

2 Likes

Almost unanimous endorsement of APs in this supposedly controversial area! My worries are mostly directed at the subtler aspects of cognition, creativity, intellectual robustness, and so on.

1 Like

How would you define those?