How has the world changed?

The change is certain. How has the world changed in 30 years? Many things have happened. 30 years ago there was an attempted coup in Moscow and it failed and later the Soviet Union collapsed. 20 years ago there was the 911 event which started wars in Afghanistan and elsewhere. 10 years ago they got Osama Bin Laden in Pakistan. Just over one year ago coronavirus changed the world and so on and so on, nothing is as certain as changes in the world.

3 Likes

You have probably already seen in the news that the government of Afghanistan has fallen and the Taliban has taken over the capital from where the western governments have evacuated their personnel and some Afghans who have helped their embassies. This is just another sign that changes in the world are certain.

I agree, the world is changing.

The only thing that doesn’t change is change, itself.

2 Likes

Seems like your dwelling in the past or at least enjoyed your past.

I just like the modern world history. I also like the history of people. For example how early Russians got their name, this was when vikings started calling people ‘Rus’. These people lived in some areas of the early Russia. So vikings gave this name ‘Rus’ and today these people are called Russians or in Russian ‘ruskie’.

1 Like

the most cetrain thing i see
is the world is crazy
dominating power made countries crazy

I think also there is more people with mental illnesses, than there was 40 years ago.

I think that is in part because the DSM has gotten a lot thicker, more disorders have been added to it over the years so more people receive a diagnosis. Maybe in the past there was no knowledge of certain disorders so people went undiagnosed, making it seem like there was less back then.

1 Like

I like the song a lot.

■■■■ the world, i feel like cioran
I’m not sure if i want to see the people change or die

The world have changed alot. My world not so much. Even if l really want it to.

I like your topic mjseu.

In my lifetime I’ve seen the rapid rise of technology. I was born in the late 80’s. As a child growing up I experienced the change of the telephone. First they became cordless, then beeper came about. Afterwards cellphones became more readily available. Now they’re everywhere.

Computers were much different before. Knowing how to turn on and use a computer was seen as a sign of intelligence. The internet wasn’t around and people would find things out from encyclopedias. Then computers advanced and more people learned to use them. Phones became like computers. People view computers as a commonplace thing now.

Much has changed. I grew up in a time in which going over to knock on a friend’s door out of the blue was normal. Nowadays, people text before hand or just communicate through the internet. I rode bikes, got my clothes dirty with actual dirt from going bike riding to the river in the outskirts of town. I remember playing football with two rocks as goal posts on the street. We’d have to get out of the way when cars drove by. That type of thing doesn’t happen as much here anymore. In Mexico it’s a different story.

Maybe this isn’t the type of response you were looking for. Just a personal anecdote of how the world changed since my childhood.

The technological advances are tremendous. I’m pretty sure the world changed significantly because of technology.

2 Likes

Do you know what this word meant to the vikings? Just curious.

The name Rus’ comes from an Old Norse word for ’ the men who row . ’

The Vikings spoke Old Norse and made inscriptions in runes

I read that, it was interesting.

Interesting topic.

After reading about history especially the history of mental illness I am very glad and lucky to be alive in this day and age. In ancient times people with mental illness were treated very poorly, with superstition and even condemned to death. People would drill holes in a person’s head who was afflicted with a mental illness to release the bad “spirits” that were supposedly inhabiting the persons mind and body and would end up killing the person in the progress. As time went on they would also lock people up in asylums and let them suffer with their illness.

As medicine has advanced so did the treatment of people with mental illness. Even though their is still a stigma surrounding people with mental illness the medications that they have come out with have allowed people with mental illnesses to have a better quality of life even though they have to deal with the side effects. It’s a necessary evil and something we have to deal with.

I’m assuming just as things have improved for people that have a mental illness over the course of centuries I believe that things will only continue to improve especially with the advent of better drugs, research and funding for the many illnesses that continue to plague humanity and help advance civilization for the better.

This is just one aspect of history that I have an understanding of and read about. I would write more but I think you get the gist of it.

4 Likes

Over time, things get faster. We used to live 10 days walk from our nearest neighbour’s cave. Then we got horses, cars, planes. Soon we’re building orbital shuttles. Travel isn’t instant yet though.

When we invented telephones communication of information got faster but bandwidth was small. What’s happened in the last 30 years is that almost any sized data can be transferred nearly instantly.

This might sound like a small thing, but it’s not. Fake news can spread around the world in a flash, social media stories and conspiracies. Money transfers are faster now. But other things too, that our governments see but we don’t see. Foreign policy can change very quickly, negotiations can start and end very fast. Leaks and hacks can shut down services instantly, where in the past human sabotage took months or years.

This ever increasing connectivity unites us. But it also sets the stage for events to go global much more easily. We’ve just had a global crisis in the coronavirus. The stage is set for more events to occur globally, where in the past they were localised. That’s what has changed the most, we have globalised.

2 Likes