How functioning are you

High functioning can change depending on the meds. I was high functioning on Abilify for 8yrs but had to stop it due to worsening of side effects. I finished a 3yrs bachelor of science university degree, had a couple of jobs, gym almost daily, driving long distances, hanging out with friends everyday, etc

Now on risperidone I am less functional but have no social problems, I talk to friends daily and we hangout during the summer. I recently went down from 6 to 4mg risperidone so I am improving, my goal is to stay on 3mg or go back to Latuda 80mg on which I was able to work a low stress office job.

1 Like

On risperidone I stay in bed a lot and rarely go outside my home.

2 Likes

Iā€™m probably ā€œmediumā€ functioning, realistically.

5 Likes

As far as work goes, I only just managed to volunteer four hours a week. I was only barely able to handle that. I donā€™t know if I am high functioning or not. I am managing to live by myself with some help at times.

1 Like

Thatā€™s better than me. I had one go at voluntary work soon after my first first inpatient stay. It was going round the wards with the hospital library service. I struggled to approach the patients. Found it extremely hard to initiate a verbal interaction . I lasted a week by which time my anxiety and social anxiety levels had gone into the stratosphere.

1 Like

I know what you mean. I found it difficult to interact with others too.

My anxiety and chronic fear verges on the paranoid many times.

3 Likes

Iā€™m the same way. For example, Iā€™m too scared to drive a car on the freeway/busy roads because Iā€™m afraid Iā€™ll get in a wreck. Stuff like that. Borderline delusional/paranoid, and certainly catastrophic thinking.

1 Like

I like to practice guitar and mandolin every day for a half hour but some days Iā€™m too depressed to do both or maybe Iā€™ll do one. I have no car which is good because I have to walk. I clean my kitchen and hardly anything else. I take the garbage and recycling outside. Things have to change, I have to start walking more, Iā€™m getting weak and stiff. I can hold a conversation but not a job. I can read but only one book at a time, I lose interest otherwise. Iā€™m not going to yell at my pdoc on February 3 when we talk on the phone. I get along with the therapist. Iā€™m fairly honest with everyone. The problem with lying is itā€™s addictive; I donā€™t want to be one of those people who find it impossible to tell the truth, lol. To thine own self be true.

1 Like

im a functional medium

2 Likes

After 4 crippling years with negatives, Iā€™ve had two good years 2018-2020, then I experienced a drawback. But Iā€™m still in a good spot compared to many. Iā€™m not very interested in comparisons, however, I just want to be at my best while symptoms-free.

3 Likes

My diagnosis was ā€œhigh functioning schizophrenicā€ by my first psychiatrist.

My old meds knocked me on my ass, but I switched meds a couple years ago and and am back to working part time (2-3 shifts per week).

3 Likes

I can fly to the moon!

1 Like

High functioning for a sz but just an average guy actually.

1 Like

I donā€™t know. Iā€™m afraid to go places alone.I rely on my husband a lot. We do things together a lot. Luckily we have a good relationship and we like spending all that time together. Also Iā€™ve started having problems with reading comprehension and horrible memory issues

4 Likes

Risperidone is bad for the immune system. Be careful.

I learned this a few months back, I think.

Here is a link: New study shows antipsychotic drugs can suppress the immune system

1 Like

Another good reason to decrease my dosage. Thanks.

1 Like

I meant ā€œa setbackā€ sorry.

I seem to function pretty good. But, then again I canā€™t work because Iā€™m inappropriate in word and deed and because of that, I canā€™t hang on to a job without getting fired. Also, I canā€™t drive and donā€™t own a car.

1 Like

How so?