How does one control thoughts and behaviors?

How does one control thoughts and behaviors?

Your own or otherā€™s?

Lolā€¦my own thoughts and behaviors.

1 Like

You start by an easy task. Every morning in the bathroom you look at yourself in the mirror and say out loud ā€œToday is a good dayā€ and ā€œI am importantā€ that will give you an ego-boost if you need it. But the first one, that can be the thing that matters at the end of the day. Today is a good day. Throw out your negative thoughts and fill your soul with positive energy. That can make you manage the rest of the day even if you stumble over challenges.

1 Like

Grab your schizophrenia by the hair and **** its skull so it cant speak

2 Likes

inner peaceā€¦

1 Like

transformation of body mind and soul, it worksā€¦ there all linked imo, one feeds the other

1 Like

I stick to a basic routine. Keep the stress as low as I can. I do sort of make a big deal out of things I do right. Positive reinforcement.

I try to not get to down on myself for thing I messed up onā€¦ though I do freak out about stuff very easily.

Controlling thoughtsā€¦ I canā€™t CONTROL them, but I can ignore the bad ones and let them pass and hold onto the good ones. I can get help with the voices and I can ask for help with the delusions.

Mostly, just keep telling myself Iā€™m not the man I was a few years ago when I was in relapse. Iā€™m better now. Also I do sort of remind myself that I have people who do love me, I have people on my side. Iā€™m not alone.

That helps a lot on bleak days.

4 Likes

What are you going for? Avoiding a certain behavior or trying to get certain things done every day?

Avoiding a certain behavior.

Distraction.
Think of something else, do something else, look somewhere else.
When the urge to do that certain behavior hits, use procrastination. Put it off for a half hour or hour at first, then distract yourself with anything that keeps you busy for that time. Every time the urge hits, put it off longer and longer. Eventually it looses that death grip.

1 Like

I have a lot of trouble controlling my thoughts but deep breathing helps.
Most of the time when OCD intrusive thoughts are screwing me over, Iā€™m not breathing properly.
Itā€™s a constant battle to try and remind myself to breathe!

1 Like

all i can think of is the word ā€˜Disciplineā€™ and we really need meds to help us with that as well.

1 Like

Cognitive training for thoughts. Behavorial training for behaviors.

1 Like

You control behaviors by becoming aware of them. You canā€™t control thoughts, but you can rationalize them, and over time eventually change your thought process by doing this.

1 Like