How does a normal session with your psychiatrist go?

Does your psychiatrist ever give you an analysis of your situation. Like, does he/she tell you what exactly they think the problem is, and do they offer advice when you give them your account of what you are experiencing. What kinds of questions do they ask during a session?

I’m asking all of this because after after a whole year, I still don’t have a diagnosis. Nor do I really have much insight into what exactly the problem is from a medical/psychiatric perspective.

My psychiatrist doesn’t really say much during a session. Just listens and writes down notes and, if needed, a possible med adjustment. Is this normal? I’ve only ever been to one psychiatrist.

Did you ask them for one ?

Its up to you to ask the questions.

They might not even know that you care.

I mostly talk to mine about what I think might be side effects, my dogs etc. I want to set a baseline for what normal is for me and if they can intuit any problems.

I’m pretty sure they’ll tell you if you ask. I didn’t think you’d need to guess though, what are the symptoms of your ailment?

Do you have delusions, or hallucinations?

I have asked before, what he thinks the diagnosis is. This was last year around this time. At this time he said the symptoms I had reported previously were a little mild to really pinpoint anything. On top of that, all my symptoms had actually gone away, at the time due to meds. He just said we should monitor further…

I feel like while I had made a lot of progress last year and almost fully recovered, I’ve regressed a little in the last few months. I never seem to get much out of him in terms of his analysis.

1 Like

I’m in the UK. My psychiatrists have usually been very good. They let me say whatever I want and then give feedback, at least if I ask for it.

1 Like

I have asked before. That was last year. I should probably inquire again about what he thinks.

I don’t have any hallucinations, fortunately. I was doing very well, I had virtually no symptoms. But in recent months I struggle mainly with ideas of reference.

I always assumed he would just tell me eventually when he arrived at a conclusion.

That’s good. I would like a little more feedback and advice from my pdoc if possible.

1 Like

I really like my current psychiatrist. The last one was over the phone because of the lockdown and tele-medicine access. He was very supportive and thoughtful. He actually cares about my personal life and seems to genuinely want to help. He orders bloodwork and tests when I start a new medication or around twice a year. The sessions aren’t very long over the phone. It’s hard to find a person who genuinely cares about your health and does this job to help people. He originally thought I had Bipolar and not Schizophrenia. He may still think this.

1 Like

Yes. It sounds like those I’ve seen. We usually talk about international cricket. My doctor listens to my responses and asks the odd question. If I’m doing well he sees that in my demeanor and responses. It really is an art to get a handle on mentally ill patients and a good one develops a relationship with you for sure.

1 Like

Poor guy. I’m doing my best to help him. Poor bastar*d, I don’t care what anyone says, I won’t give up on him.

mine doesn’t say much, my old one, would ask me questions sometimes. and suggested i need a social life at a medication hearing.

my old pdoc, changed my diagnosis to sza, which is more accurate for my experiences. i still haven’t seen my new one face to face yet, just over the phone, he asks me questions like “do you drive” “did you get your flu shot” “how’s your appetite” “are you sleeping well” and that’s about it, it’s all routine.

1 Like

A while back I read somewhere that there’s a school of thought saying not giving a diagnosis is better for the patient. Something about the patient not becoming defined by their illness a d having a better prognosis. I find knowing the better way to go.

What is that supposed to mean?

1 Like

They have to take their time with diagnosing people with things, as getting a wrong diagnosis could be worse than not getting one.

I was floridly psychotic for about a year before I got a diagnosis of Schizophrenia

It’s a joke and explaining jokes usually takes the humor out of them.
But I’ll explain. It’s funny(at least to me) because in my 40 years of having schizophrenia I have seen or met with many mental health workers. Counselors, therapists, psychiatrists, nurses etc. In my experience many of these people often seem to be odd or unusual or screwed up. In my experience. I wouldn’t say they are bizarre or extremely weird but a lot of them walk a thin line between quirky or just plain weird. In my experience.
My first group home was the worst for this. Those staff members had BIG problems and I wondered why they went into the field at all. My other theory is that over the years, I’ve met counselors who received more help from the clients than they gave out. It’s just a very odd profession.

I take a list of questions with me to my pdoc and discuss them. Then he answers them and we come to an agreement.

1 Like

I have also seen UK psychiatrists and have also got treatment in France. There isn’t a lot of difference, although in France they very much have the opinion that the doctor knows best and it is therefore sometimes not advisable to make too many demands. I see my psychiatrist on the 30th, this month.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.