How do you tell if you have a cold versus hayfever?

I mean both can look similar right?

3 Likes
1 Like

It looks like if you have body aches, a cough or fever,

Its a cold.

1 Like

Thanks for setting it out!

1 Like

Good question. Sometimes it is hard to tell. In general, when you have a cold, someone else in the family or office often has one. A cold is often associated with a low-grade fever but allergy is not. You may also notice fatigue as well as joint or muscle ache with a cold but not with allergy. Allergies should respond to taking an antihistamine but an antihistamine will do little for a cold.

1 Like

You definitely know you have problems when a virus moves on to a secondary bacterial infection, such as sinusitis. You’ll know this when there’s local pain in your face near the sinuses.

Also, color of mucus. Hay fever usually doesn’t affect color, so it’ll be clear or white. Blood in mucus is often a sign of a sinus infection. At that stage you need an antibiotic.

1 Like

Hay fever causes a lot of itching.

1 Like

Am getting the itching now. Plus last night when it was dark I was ok but this morning when I opened the windows I got bad again.

Think it might actually be allergies

My hayefever always tends to be worse at night and if I have had the windows open. Or been walking in the park. So it may be.

1 Like

What’s a hayfever?

2 Likes

Allergic rhinitis - allergies to pollen

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.