How do you stay in shape?

1. Calorie counting
  2. Swimming
  3. Strength training with resistance bands. I prefer them, cheaper, easier to use in my room.

Bent over rows (pull)…

Bent over rows (pull)

I jogged 2 mi on the treadmill, I took some acetaminophen. I was too paranoid to go out.

I felt I was really stuck for a long time but I discovered that I was doing a lousy job of managing my sodium intake and also I wasn’t eating enough protein.

I feel so much better on a low sodium diet which I track using an app every day. I do a lot more yoga and walking now because I don’t get fatigued as easily from having high BP.

I also find that food allergies are a big problem for me. I eat pasta instead of bread because processed bread seems to upset my stomach terribly. I avoid most dairy and take calcium citrate with vitamin D3 to get my daily calcium. I recently substituted prunes for bananas for potassium and fiber. I also eat egg whites instead of eggs because yolks seem to bother me too.

Eating at home most of the time is also a huge help.

I’ve gained 40lbs since I was put on my meds. I use to be a big time athlete before I was diagnosed. Now I’m fat, slow, and can barely breath.

I would love to lose weight but lack motivation all the time.

1 Like

No offense, I don’t mean to sound arrogant or headstrong, but I hate all of these exercises in the gifs.

I was gonna jog today but got paranoid. I’m gonna try a night jog.

1 Like

Thanks for answering guys! :slightly_smiling_face:

I dont. I will start tango lessens though thursday. Hope it helps a tiny bit, though it isnt sports. When i feel better i also would like to pick up rock climbing again!

I love rock climbing!

2 Likes

Nice! Do you climb indoors or outdoors? I did both, it was my favourite activity for ages.

Outdoors,but it was recreational,not professional.It was just narrow cliffs.

3 Likes

Oh i never climbed professionally either…I did do some alpine climbing too though.

2 Likes

I used to climb with my ex friend,didn’t see him for ages.Once he got stuck,and it was very dangerous.We didn’t use the ropes.

3 Likes

used to do all sorts
now i just started riding an electric bike everywhere
it’s good to be back on some kind of fitness… i have done basically nothing for a year - again

1 Like

I started putting weights in my backpack for a bigger workout during my walks. Usually I walk around 10-30 blocks every other day. I also lift some weights and bench press.

1 Like

I practice yoga for about 30- 35 minutes every day. I also practice piano for an hour every day. That burns calories too. I’ve been at the same weight for months and I’m having a hard time taking these last ten pounds off. I need to do more in terms of exercise. I’m going to start taking the four flights of stairs in my apartment complex every day and see if that will make a difference. Also, start buying and eating more salad kits from the grocery store. They are really delicious.

1 Like

Thanks for sharing everyone. Yesterday I ran a quick mile on the treadmill. It was a bad idea, my big toe injury called sesamoiditis started acting up. I had tried an easy slower jog last week at night (I’ve been paranoid to go out). There was no pain at all.

Yesterday I overdid it!

Today I iced and elevated my big toe joint…I might take a few weeks off to let my foot bounce back, though I’ll try and keep moving…always with shoes on in the house.

I also make sure to take acetaminophen.

I bought a pair of basketball shoes on amazon, they’re here and they fit great. I’ll wear them and my running shoes around the house to break them in.

I’m manic, so I’ve gotta watch out for spending. It’s all about that cabbage!

The bank, the beans, the jimmy, the jive, the moolah, the greenbacks, the dead presidents.

My sesamoid also will get messed up if I go barefoot.

There’s a basketball court at the fitness center (I’m too self conscious to go) but there’s also one next to the park nearby. It’s close, dark and private.

It has hard concrete ground. I read jumping is a great way to maintain bone density.

Basketball is a series of small jumps. Tall guys can reach the goal quicker and without fail, so they’re always the best.

I messed my foot up doing bad exercises in bad equipment.

I may need up to a month to let the sesamoids bounce back. They are sensitive. The tendons surrounding them are inflamed.

I’m not sure what you do for that…I’m trying to strengthen my calves…maybe my quads too.

As for jogging, it’ll be jogging and not “running” as such. No timer, and a high frequency of short choppy steps. Bouncy and under the center of gravity with no reaching.

Nsaids like acetaminophen are key, I think, to healing in this time.

Yesterday I learned a new exercise for the neck called a neck curl…

You lay down with your head hanging off the bench and hold a light plate (wrapped in cloth) against your head as you lift your neck.

Keep the abs out of it (anterior pelvic tilt-lumbar extension) for the back, do it on your sides, back, and belly, lightly roll and stretch your neck out first.

Otherwise, next couple weeks: Walking in the house, possibly light jogging (tentative), acetaminophen, raise and ice the foot 2x/day for
30min at a time.

I also wanted all of those things on your wish list.
Although what I wanted the most was to try out one of those pull ups machines, either it be at the gym or at home.

1 Like

I really don’t. But for the longest time I wanted to take up HEMA…

2 Likes