How do you respond to stress? Or even when you don't know you are stressed?

When i am stressed i start to tremble deep inside and my teeth chatter. I don’t even realize how stressed i am. And then my teeth start chattering, i get this frozen feeling, get disoriented, like dizzy, and confused, shaky inside… does anyone else get immediate cognitive and physical symptoms quickly like that when stressed?

Also i get very agitated and irritable for a long time, like no control, like i am neurologically / physically agitated? And later i realize that the roof of my mouth is sore and that its beucase my tongue is moving non-stop?

When i get stressed up i tend to get rebound psychosis…!! i get anxiety insomnia restlessness etc…!!!

4 Likes

I am learning slowly that a lot of stress is counter productive. Is easier to say than to do.

doo you have immediate symptoms? like I am doing a small household task that involves cognitive stuff and i start to get those responses above and then i realize the task is stressing me out|?
@Jimbob @far_cry0

1 Like

Sounds like panic. Can happen with this illness.

I like to pace myself and separate tasks into multiple smaller tasks. And when I can’t do them I try not to let it bother me.

Again easier said than done.

4 Likes

I get visual disturbances and an inability to start or sustain thought or action. I tend to stare blankly while lights and shadows blink in and out of my vision. Start and stop many tasks without being able to focus on any of them.

2 Likes

I start shaking violently in response to stress too. For me, it’s because of my PTSD and my inability to process emotions. I have gotten better through therapy though, and now I don’t do it much at all.

2 Likes

I hate it they happen to me right away. out of no where without realizing that it was stressing my mind. not even feeling any stressful emotion at all. i hate it. usually means i am done for the day. ie functioning and capacity is f****d for the day

My stress can get so off the charts, I’m sure I am on the edge of insanity, it forces one into psychosis, even doing a simple task can be impossible. Anger becomes rage, Now all I can do is come home and lay down and sleep. I could probably not add up the amount of money it has cost me over the years and has probably taken 10 years off my life.

3 Likes

yes i get the lights and shadows kind of thing too. i can only look in one direction, down or straight ahead and hold it. i get what i call ‘visually overstimulated’.

1 Like

It helps me to take little mental check-ins with myself throughout the day. I am bad at recognizing negative emotions until they’re so big they become overwhelming. So whenever I eat, I think about what has happened during the day, and I work out how I probably feel about it. That way, I can deal with upsetting things when they happen, instead of waiting for several days until I realize I’m shaking and have no idea why.

2 Likes

Thanks thats a good idea. The thing i am describing above is like immediate, no emotion to work trhough, like a cognitive physical activity being done like balancing can bring it on, or trying to do any cognitive activity or sometimes a stressful situaiton before i even have a second to think about it. BAM
@Ninjastar

In my case, that’s exactly what I used to think. But when my therapist suggested this to me,!i began to see that there were warning signs and a gradual buildup. I just didn’t notice it at all so I thought something tiny like having to do laundry was what was sending me over the edge. I bet if you check in with yourself, you might notice things you never realized were affecting you.

In my case, it was sexual abuse and my father’s death. I wasn’t letting myself deal with that because I didn’t know how. So the emotions came out another way, usually in the form of tremors or getting physically sick.

2 Likes

I’m really terrible at recognising when I am stressed.

Stress causes psychosis with me. I’m on the precipice of a relapse at the moment but I can’t recognise where any stress i coming from. Maybe I’m not stressed at all? Maybe it’s organic?

Although I must say I’m holding awkward poses with my body and clenching my jaw and pushing my tongue up against the back of my front teeth. It’s cramping my mouth up and making eating and talking painful.

So those physical symptoms tell me I’m stressed. But I must recognise the cause of it. Is it something external? I don’t think so, work is going really well. Home life is going really well.

So maybe it’s the psychotic symptoms I’m going through, the messages I’m getting from the radio and the constant stalking of department of agriculture spies out to obtain the password to my brain crystals. These are stressful events. It’s like a cycle. A really bad one.

This was a great question to ask the forum. Thanks for posting it.

2 Likes

It’s calmed down somewhat with a regular AP but before: heightened anxiety,irrationality and paranoia and a decline in cognitive functioning.

1 Like

Thank you. I have been asking myself these questions for 3 years… why these things happen to me. It can feel pretty helpless on my own with these things.

2 Likes

I withdraw,tense up

1 Like

I used to have psychogenic seizures due to stress, but thanks to therapy I’ve mostly avoided them for the last two or three years. Now it just makes my anxiety and insomnia worse until I work it out.

1 Like

I don’t live a very demanding life so this rately becomes an issue. When I become psychotic and switch over, that’s when I really have to isolate myself and lie down. I’m usually on this forum at that time, even though very little gets done on here I fibd the simplicity and repitition relaxing.

1 Like