How do you report a new job to social security

I called and asked, for curiosity. My ssdi is significantly higher than 1100.

Thanks for clarification. I appreciate you

1 Like

You must have worked a lot, I did too, and I wanted my check to go up

even paying in part time all those years and being on the check, nope.

I worked in healthcare information systems. I loved it. The pdoc’s seem to think trauma brought on MI. I don’t know about that. No one does.

So good to type with you. You’re one interesting lady.

1 Like

Here’s a link for downloading a pdf of the following publication from the Social Security Administration (SSA) website:

Working While Disabled - How We Can Help

05-10095, ICN 468625, January 2019

Learn about incentives for working while still receiving disability benefits, such as the trial work period, continuation of Medicare and credit for impairment-related work expenses.

Here’s a link to a list of publications from the Social Security Administration (SSA) website:

https://www.ssa.gov/pubs/

Is that suppose to be Barney Moonbeam?

Well they won’t cut off your Medicare, but gotta keep reporting to Medicaid.

Once Medicare determines your’e disabled, you got it for life.

I did trial work period full time, no questions asked, got right back on it.

But if you’re part time, no problems. No worries.

It’s Snorkmaiden from the Moomin series by Tove Jansson

3 Likes

When I call Social Security, I don’t even know the right questions to ask.

When you call social security you wait an hour on hold before you get to talk to somebody. Same crap when you go into the office. You take a number and sit and wait an hour till they call you. I dont want to take my time to do that if you can believe that.

1 Like

Yeah, I sometimes get a friendly at these institutions, but the set up is bad. Often, they don’t see themselves as offering to help me.

1 Like

You can call and they will take your name and an agent will give you a call back when it’s your turn.

You can make an appointment. Also if my local office doesn’t make appointments, I will go early in the morning about 15 minutes before it opens and stand there and be the first one in and be the first one seen.

1 Like

Just the same Nick, the system can be unfriendly . . .

2 Likes

Except it doesn’t always work like that. Last few times I called, no call back option was available. Not sure why.

Where I go there is a line before they open too. Doesn’t make much difference when you go. There is probably a sweet spot. But in general the earlier the better. Lines are out the door. One office I went to was the third busiest in the entire COUNTRY.

When I call the general number. It can last 2 hours on hold sometimes. I have both: the local and the national number. Local is best in most cases. I don’t even remember how to make an appointment. Not sure if I can make one anytime. Appointments are best because you skip the line outside and go right in. Next time, I will try to make an appointment.

I haven’t seriously considered looking into work. I feel like it’s a scam sometimes. I’ve heard mixed things. Best thing is going through the county, I guess. I still have a lot to do to recover/get better before I can work. I think going to school for me is the best but they might consider that work or something…say I’m not disabled when I am. I am permanently disabled despite the 3 year medical review and optimism. They make it so hard these days. If I didn’t have my family help me, especially my father, I would be lost.

When I go to the office, It’s a 4-6 hour ordeal.

The last time I went there was nobody there. I was in and out.

I was told I didn’t have to worry as long as I didn’t make over $1000 per month or worked more than 25 hours per week. I think it’s different for each state (in the United States that is).

@Jayster and @insidemind and @Jonnybegood Yeah, that’s why I brought family sometimes. It was moral support and they are way better than me at asking the right questions. I’ve gone many times myself and I was relatively fine but situations sometimes come up (or used to) where they were confusing and complicated and being that my family are all way above average in intelligence and people skills, they stepped in.

I think the last time I was at actually at a Social Security office was more than 6 years ago. There was a mix-up with my benefits and someone with the same name as me went to prison in Louisiana and they stopped my benefits because they thought it was me and you can’t collect benefits while in prison.

So it involved calling back East to the prison and finding the right person to talk to. Believe me, it got complicated so my older sister stepped in. I thought I could handle it but when my sister came with me she grilled the worker who had my case and discovered many flaws and mishandling and just plain incompetence and laziness from the worker. My problem with authority is that I trust it too much. But my sister has been around and she asks the tough questions and is not afraid of confrontations. Yeah, family support or even just a friend.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 95 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.