Schizophrenia.com

How do you get help when you can't trust anyone?

In my story, it took me a couple of years to get the help I needed. Before i was diagnosed and was admitted to the hospital, i couldn’t trust anyone. My beliefs and delusions were so strong and so real, that everyone was out to get me. Which brings me to my question - How do you get help if you can’t trust anyone to get you the help? It’s like a chicken and egg thing. Luckily, my family was there to support me for that day that i reached out to them for help. So what is your story?

3 Likes

I was involuntary commited to the hospital. It saved my life.

2 Likes

Yep - saved my life too. I am so glad that i let my defenses down for 5 minutes and ask for the help

4 Likes

I didn’t get help and it has taken 3 or 4 years for me to understand m delusions as delusions, and begin seeking approriate help. I was already dx bpad, so certain crazy bypassed their radar. I think if you got help in time you are lucky. I am also lucky I managed to rebuild a life :heart:

1 Like

I didn’t even trust my mother the first time around, but after drugging me for a while after my first episode I calmed down and took things from the top.

2 Likes

For me it just got worse and worse to the point that I was like a lunatic, half naked lying on the ground. Telling people not to come near me. Saying I’m due to explode. So then they called an ambulance. Which was also scary. I thought I was going to be chopped into lots of small pieces with a scalpel. It’s interesting how such scary experiences really do stick in your memory. Sort of well.

That’s the very question I’m asking myself right now.

1 Like

In the UK, @SkinnyMe, we have a big charity that helps, it’s called age UK.

Not sure if you have something alike where you live.

Funnily enough it was the voices that I trusted during my last psychosis. They told me, ‘it’s OK those medications are placebo pills, go ahead and take them’!!!

I mean, I was sort of questioning the voices.

Too though.

I’m paranoid. Started when I was 19. I was seeing this really nice therapist. A doctor told my parents I needed to be hospitalized. So my parents had me admitted to a psyche ward, and weirdly enough, the psyche ward was over a hundred miles away. But I didn’t fight it or protest, I just went along with the program.

And after a week and a half there my parents found a group home and I ended up staying there a year. At the beginning of my stay at the group home I went through a phase where I thought my family caused my illness. At first I blamed it on my sister and the result was she never visited me the whole time I was there. Then I blamed it on my parents and I didn’t want to see them. But they didn’t give up on me. They would still call and visit me.

I remember Christmas at the group home. My parents came over but I treated them coldly and didn’t want to talk to them. We went out on the front porch and they gave me some gifts, like some socks and a book or something. Nobody talked and we just sat there and then they left. I told this story to my sister who was in the Air Force at the time. She was taking some class and she wrote down the Christmas story for the class. She told me that a lot of people in class got really sad over it.

Anyways, that was one of many low points of mine but eventually learned that my parents didn’t cause my illness and were actually on my side and doing everything they could to help me. After I got that straight my relationship with my family got a lot better and they became my biggest allies and supporters. And my parents helped me and never gave up on me until my dad passed away ten years ago and my mom 5 years ago. They supported me for 30 years and I still have my sisters who help me, even though I do most things for myself.

And they are the ones who got me into a nice place and stayed in touch with my counselor. And I used to ride the bus for 1 1/2 hours to visit them on weekends. I’m paranoid but I’ve always trusted my family (since that first year)

1 Like

My problem is not that I don’t trust people, but that I don’t feel I deserve help.
When my brain stops working, I try to hide it because I don’t want to be a burden. If someone suggests the hospital, I protest because it would take time and resources away from someone who needs it more.

I have one person in my life who can tell when I’m unwell and trying to hide it, and let’s just say they’ve saved my life more than once

2 Likes

My family (my parents)helped me before I was diagnosed.

I still don’t trust people, but I just accept the help.

I have this mindset which makes me believe that people are not trustworthy due to past trauma, and I often don’t think I’m not allowed any sort of love or compassion. I always think people are double-faced, and people would always judge me for everything.

My therapist told me that I need to love myself in order to help others, but for me it’s the exact opposite. I love others because I can’t love myself; I am not able to love myself.

1 Like

over time i got more and more sick and eventually my gp doc asked me if i wanted to go to the psych ward to get checked out… i felt so desperate that i agreed to try it… it was really hard and first time in psych ward didn’t make me better… i got a pdoc after that and he helped me till things got worse again and i got admitted again… it’s only since then after second time in psych ward that i got the help i needed. They gave me the right meds and since then i feel much better.
But yea when you don’t trust anybody it’s really hard to get help indeed…

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.