How do you deal with voices?

I heard a pretty loud voice come from my duct work. I wanted to try and listen but it took a lot of effort so I gave up. The voice freaked me out though. Does anyone try to actively listen to their voices? Do you feel like it takes effort? I’ve actively listened before and it was an experience. It’s not that I don’t hear voices I just don’t focus on them and actively listen.

2 Likes

They come anyways to me. I don’t have to listen. They force themselves in my conscious mind.

4 Likes

I guess they’re kinda forced on me too, but I never sit and try and focus and listen.

1 Like

I just live with them. It’s okay as long as they are not too loud and all the time. Then I can’t function at all and just need to take meds and rest.

2 Likes

I try to ignore them the best I can.

4 Likes

Damn I don’t really experience them like that. I have kinda white noise voices and then every once in a while I’ll hear a word said to me that I ascribe to being a person.

1 Like

Consider yourself lucky.

In my case they talk to me and depending on the day going from a couple of sentences to all the time.

2 Likes

I do too. It takes effort for me to listen so I just don’t do it. I do still feel like I’m trying to put up a wall so to speak against them.

1 Like

Damn. My voices have quieted down a lot since my med change. I would’ve said the same when I was on invega.

1 Like

I’m on Invega :grinning:

1 Like

Don’t get caught up listening. I’m fixated on them and it sucks.

1 Like

I was on it for 14 years and struggled. I figured I couldn’t do any better cause I had tried other antipsychotics without much improvement. Then I reached a tipping point and decided to try an older med that people here have mentioned. Turns out it works pretty well. The voices aren’t nearly as bad and the side effects are totally manageable.

1 Like

I have tried Risperidone, Abilify, clozapine, orap, zyprexa and seroquel. Invega works best so far but it’s not perfect

1 Like

Alright. I don’t know why I’d try and listen other than believing they are real and feeling like maybe its something I should do. Naturally though it’s hard for me to do anyways. That was kinda my question. Whether or not I should listen to them.

Alright. I’m taking perphenazine and cogentin.

1 Like

Thanks for the feedback. I’ve decided it’s best not to actively listen if I can help it.

1 Like

I try to concentrate more on the to do list everyday than on the voices or fighting voices.

When i ignore them they get nasty

2 Likes

You need to ignore them in a non forceful way. Just not caring what they have to say.

2 Likes

But i care. I’m curious

2 Likes