Schizophrenia.com

How do you deal with compliments that are not true?

Last night I was exchanging PMS with a Portuguese guy. He kept on insisting I was a genius,despite my repeatedly telling him that I wasn’t.

1 Like

I say “thank you” and move on.

He might not have meant it literally. Could be he was trying to say that to him, based on whatever you did that impressed him, you seem really smart in that area

2 Likes

i don’t get that much compliments… and usually i think they are not true even maybe they could be. I find it hard getting compliments.

1 Like

That’s certainly a possibility…

1 Like

I asked why he thought so-

Because your IQ is so high

1 Like

Most of the time its just people being overly polite and sweet. I guess you need to recognise that. Maybe they are trying to be kind to you and pay a compliment, even if they don’t think its literally true.

1 Like

I’ve given up on the quandary, I just automatically think they’re trying to get something out of me. That they’re lying to make fun of me.

May not be healthy, but it’s safer. Have to remind myself that some people can be genuine.

1 Like

My main reason for rejecting the label is that genius is said to require very high intelligence + a high level of creativity.I’m at best reasonably creative.

1 Like

I get phoney compliments all the time. Along with a lot of very truthful insults. Frankly, I don’t know what to think about it all. Except to think that no, I must not be a young, beautiful girl anymore.

1 Like

I’m not creative enough to be a genius, but I am reasonably intelligent.

1 Like

Don’t do yourself down @firemonkey

2 Likes

I say thank you to any compliment but like @Ooorgle I am on high alert for potential exploitation.

Insults I just keep walking and don’t give a ■■■■ tbh. Life is too short to worry about the actions of other people. My reactions and virtues are within my control and virtually everything else is out of my control.

:rainbow:

1 Like

Someone told me I remind them of robin williams I was kind of embarrassed

My friend told someone I taught him everything he knows I was embarrassed that time too . I don’t like when people make me seem so great becuase I’m just normal I suck actually I’m a schmuck

Accept them as not true and live further

I rememeber I broke up with a girl when she was so proud of being my girlfriend and adding in a relationship on Facebook I saw her bragging to her friends and was so embarrassed I dumped her

You’re right, but it’s not easy when your default mode is to feel useless and worthless, interspersed every now and then with ‘really scared as f***’ false bravado.

I know how this feels

The last few weeks I have been on an AD, and trying to be more positive - making sure I focus on good things rather than bad.

Even silly things like listening to more positive music seems to be helping

Feeling much better from it

I don’t know why it’s default to feel bad, and you have to fight for positivity so hard.

Keep going! You’re a valuable person, and deserve compliments from people

Creativity can take all sorts of forms. I am sure if you think about it, you’re creative in your own way

1 Like

I’ve always been ‘creative’ in fits and starts. With the periods of time where there’s little creativity going on getting longer and longer.

I’ll take what I can get. I accept them.

1 Like