How do kids find out popular music these days?

Like “the weeknd” is really big right now.

But how do the kids know this?!

I assume they don’t listen to radio.

3 Likes

I agree. A worthwhile question.

1 Like

YouTube is where I find my music. Or Instagram people follow their fav artists or subscribe. Or Spotify you CAN discover artists. But it’s more for me for listening to artists I already know

3 Likes

I think streaming services are the way now, Spotify, Pandora, apple music, YouTube , prime music, SoundCloud, digitally imported, I haven’t listened to the radio since I can remember, but I mostly use mp3s which is old now too lol.

3 Likes

I think Tik Tok is all the rage with the youngsters these days…anything trendy that is happening is on that platform.

2 Likes

I have no idea what is going on in the contemporary music. I hear new music every once in a while and I don’t like most of it. There are a few tunes that are catchy but my favorite music is between the 1950’s and 2000.

3 Likes

oy grandad! :stuck_out_tongue: :rofl:

Seriously though, I listen to new music all the time on my discovery list on spotify. New releases, radio, playlists and even listening to recommendations on podcasts from their favourite artists.

1 Like

I like to go one updates of vevo music videos

I listen to the radio from time to time

I have a few musicians on my instagram

1 Like

My friends tell me new good music.

1 Like

I have no idea what the popular music is these days. Ive been out of touch for 20 years and im only 37

2 Likes

Here’s the billboard hot 100.

https://www.billboard.com/charts/hot-100

Somehow people are finding out what’s happening in music and piling on.

It can’t be explained by spotify and friends. I have Spotify and it never presents me with chart music.

Maybe it’s tiktok as @anon39054230 said.

No idea. I never listened to the radio when it was a popular medium. I mostly listen to instrumental, and will find good stuff randomly if I look for it, but I’m often listening to the same stuff I have been most of my life.

1 Like

Spotify has very neat algos for picking what you’ll like based on what you already listen to. I find a lot of just released music that way. As well, I subscribe to Youtube channels that are very good at releasing new pop as soon as the companies put it out on the distribution services.

Finally, I run an online station that adds new songs every second day (lots of work for me, but worth it). I have a much younger listenership that listens to me to find out what they should add to their Spotify or Youtube Premium. I get a steady stream of listener emails thanking me for helping them find new music. Kids are listening to radio, but many of them avoid the local terrestrial stations in favour of the niche online stations that suit their interests. They also mostly listen to ad-free stations and avoid the ones with commercials.

2 Likes

In hip hop you hype your songs usually release on all platforms through a program which publishes it to all at once. Then you popular it on Instagram. But music videos are the real kicker. I’d say your chances of blowing up with a good visual is probably 50x higher then just doing an audio release. Especially if no one knows you yet lol.

Lots of rappers acclaimed fame through other measures. Profited off their fame by releasing music under their name.

Let just say if I was national news tomorrow for something positive I could call an agent get in a studio make a music video ASAP. Put it on YouTube. And I’d bet my soul that it would blow up. It’s neither here nor there tho… But most rappers build their name on Instagram. Marketing your brand is a big deal. YouTube is where it recommends u the New songs especially if u subscribe to the artist or have ever clicked one of their songs before. The YouTube algorithm knows that you wanna hear the new music if you’re someone like me. It’s as easy as 1 2

I love hip hop. It’s very hard at first. But within ten years I think you can get better at hip hop than a guitar in ten years. That’s just me. There’s more talent in hip hop than rock that’s the thing. That doesn’t slight it, it’s just means it’s a more expressive genre that’s easier to practice at, too. Long live hip hop and it’s evolution and form until the end

1 Like

I think the streaming sites help an awful lot. I am on Apple music, and it emails me all the time with new releases that you can download

2 Likes

I buy CD’s at the music store downtown.

2 Likes

Spotify I guess!

1 Like

I don’t know any new bands or artists so I just listen to the classic stuff!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.