How do I stop talking to myself

What used to be an internal monologue of just normal narration of events or day dreaming turned into me subvocalixing which has turned into me muttering or just flat out reading things and commenting on tho he to myself vocally. I feel this causes me alot of problems because I guess it makes me seem crazy. Bare in mind this is when I’m completely alone. But I feel punished for it.

Any advice for how to not do this as much? I just can’t find my inner tho king voice used for reading anymore.

1 Like

It can be a positive symptom. Take the medications and tell your doctor about it. I do it quite often when I’m in negative thoughts…they come out as slurs against myself…like you idiot! silly things but it’s part of my thinking and I still do it…what i do is to try and not think like that…I know that is like pissing in the wind…but to some extent thinking of other things does help.

2 Likes

I talk to myself too. Now it has decreased a lot. Medication helps me. When i do not have intrusive thoughts i do not talk to myself

I just get weird pressure and can’t seem to think in words. They get forced out vocally. It seems to kink the chain if I try to change this.

Damned if you do damned if you dont

2 Likes

In my case it is related to my obsessions. I have to repeat the obsessive phrases.
Other times I whisper to myself some funny things and laugh.
Let me know if you find a cure. :slight_smile:

I get this weird preasure you speak of, im so glad im not the only one and it is a symptom of our disease,

1 Like

I used to get giggles in public so embarrassing…and I’d get caught muttering stuff.

I try to bite my lips if I get too lost in my internal thoughts. Like I’ll just bite my lips until the loud thought goes away. I still make mistakes though but I more or lessonly mouth words now in public and it only happens when I’m lost in thought.

Some guy once caught me laughing to my self in grad school. I was trying to stifle it by biting my lips and he pointed up at the classroom lights and said an easier way was to look at the lights and squint, it makes the smile look like you’re just staring into bright lights, like the face you’d naturally make if the light hurt your eyes. I will always remember him saying that. I got caught being non normal. It was good advice though, I do that for the involuntary smiles now.

How he even knew to do that is beyond me. Some international student with a very astute observational skills…was paranoid he was a little sleeper cell for the motherland, but we graduated and I’ve never seen him since. I’m sure I was just paranoid about him though.

1 Like

Funny but when I switched AP’s from risperidone to Vraylar I started talking to myself quite a bit actually.
I don’t think that Vraylar was working like it should so I was talking to myself.
I don’t do it now that I’m back on risperidone.

2 Likes

This is my internal thoughts being externalized verbally. This started when my internal speech became too loud to handle in my head. This is what brought about all of my issues.

I can’t silently think words or even subvocalize because my breath becomes in tune eith ehat I’m saying making them verbal even ehen my mouth is completely shut

1 Like

Did you discuss this with your doctor?
Maybe he can adjust your meds.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.