How do i change my habits?

I feel pretty trapped by my health issues and habits. For many years all i did was go to work, come home and get high and veg out. Even if im not getting high i still didnt feel like i could do much because work would take so much out of me. Well now im on disability and not working as much, im sitting around more and getting high all day every day. Its definitely getting old. Im getting rid of my stash except for a little and going to taper off. I want to like maybe schedule my days out so i can get moving more. I dont have a lot of obligations now so i need to figure out a way to fill my time that isnt drug related. And no i do not have any psychotic symptoms and havent since december despite smoking every day and taking 2 lsd trips. Please i know i ahouldnt do these things so i dont need a lecture… just idk encouragement or advice on how to change these habits. Ive been working on my wating habits because i have really unhealtht eating habits too and thats gotten a lot better… but still my cholesterol is high and my a1c was slightly in the prediabetic range still. I also think i may have some chronic pain issue going on, dr suspects fibromyalgia.

1 Like

Can you see a specialized psychologist that can help you in getting of drugs?

It could also help to see a dietician for your eating habits.

2 Likes

Idk if it’s available to you through mental health places and insurance. But going to groups every week really helps me get on a more strict schedule. Being social helps me out a ton. I also have one weekend day a week I go to my best friend’s house and we just have dinner together and watch movies and chat. I still live with family and they are trying to help me be more responsible because I want to live on my own eventually. I also have a case manager and peer support worker weekly.

2 Likes

I don’t know if this will work for you but I just forced myself to change my bad habits. I quit smoking weed and cigarettes cold turkey along with drinking. I force myself to consume less than 2,000 calories a day except when I have a cheat meal sometimes.

2 Likes

I just am worried going cold turkey will bring about psychotic symptoms or mood. Im also worried if i dont go cold turkey ill keep using.

I think going to group or a support group would be really helpful. Ive been processing a lot of trauma from.my alcoholic mother, so i might start with al anon.

1 Like

I would find a strong enough reason to quit smoking weed ( it makes me paranoid) and then on top of that i would find a great benefit to quit( money, mental health). It takes 21 days to break a bad habit and form a new habit of health and prosperity.

2 Likes

Kind of sit and get used to your new life. I think.

You can or don’t have to do anything. If I force and make myself feel bad for not accomplishing something, I feel worst. Even for not enjoying life should be okay.

I mostly take care of the dogs. Come on the forums. Clean up my area of living / bed / side table / wash the dishes after I use them. Simple things. If I don’t accomplish them, I’m okay with that too.

2 Likes

It’s insane that you dropped acid twice with schizophrenia. My regular delusions make life trippy enough without throwing gasoline on the fire

1 Like

I would say don’t quit everything all at once. Pick one thing you want to change and only focus on changing that. One thing at a time. I would say stop using drugs, that would be a priority change health wise.

1 Like

Maybe you need to work out what you are escaping from with your substance abuse. Is it boredom? trauma from the past? Feeling restless?

And then there is psychology. Like nowadays all media try to make it seem that life needs to be spectacular all the time. Learning to settle for more earthbound things like just going for a walk or reading a book, or having a meal at a diner and relax with a newspaper or magazine. Try it. If you don’t like it you could always go back to the way things were before.

1 Like

Thank you all for the tips. Its gonna be rough but i know i can do it

3 Likes

Look up time blocking.its an amazing time management technique

To change bad habits you need to replace it with good ones.

Say you want to get high. Instead go for a walk or pick a healthy activity.

In my opinion healthy escapes are a good thing. And certainly the better choice over unhealthy ones.

I mountain bike, its my healthy escape.

2 Likes