How common is socially avoidant behavior in this illness

It’s my biggest issue. I have schizoaffective.

1 Like

I think its very common.

I used to be a very social person, but as I’ve gotten older I’ve become more of a recluse.

1 Like

Yeah, pretty common I think. I’m the same way.

I think the drugs make it worse as they stop me from having anything interesting to say.

1 Like

I view myself as morally inferior to others because of my not wanting to be around others.

Don’t know whether I can always give myself the illness pass.

1 Like

Extremely common. With disorganized schizophrenia some can be more social, albeit strange. But with paranoid schizophrenia social avoidance is almost always a symptom. I know it is for me. I won’t even cut my grass but once a month because I don’t want my neighbors to see me. Let alone go out into public unless I need to. Which is usually once a day just to eat. I get paranoid and anxious at the grocery store so I haven’t been in months. I usually just go out to eat. But, yeah, social isolation is very common.

2 Likes

I avoid social interactions at any cost. :t_rex::t_rex::t_rex:

2 Likes

I only go to the store at night

5 Likes

I’d say it’s extremely common. I suffer from it.

1 Like

I can go up to 2 weeks without leaving the house…than I have to get more supplies. Totally on purpose.

1 Like

Sometimes I get like this when I think people are reading my thoughts and the thoughts become more intrusive in the worse case scenerio and I feel like exiting the situation and I am panicing and anxious inside

Very common for sure. Schizoaffective here with a couple of anxiety disorders.

My main social interaction is on this site. If I have to go somewhere socially I am very resistant.

I refuse to go on Christmas parties at work. I just sit there and put no effort into talking to people and they don’t either.

2 Likes

I’m extremely avoidant of social interactions

I use to be far more sociable before the second relapse so I’d and less sociable with each relapse so I would say its common.

I was never that social even before psychosis. Psychosis just intensified that. My last job was in fast food and every interaction with people, coworkers and customers alike, I equated to the feeling of having my teeth pulled, even if I liked who I was interacting with. :frowning:

One of the prodromal signs of it is social withdrawal so not uncommon I dont think. Right before my first major episode i became severely withdrawn and barely talked to people. I ended up losing a lot of social skills almost like I’d had a social stroke or something. I didn’t get back to normal until college years later.

1 Like

I agree with those that say it’s very common . I wonder how much this is something that occurs after psychosis/schizophrenia is present, or was present before psychosis/schizophrenia .

I have very little interaction offline with others outside of that with my stepdaughter and granddaughters .
My father lives in Charlotte so I see him very infrequently. I’ve not seen my brother and sister since moving here 23 months ago .

Even as a child I was not very proactive when it came to socially interacting with others …

2 Likes

Socially avoidant behavior needs to be more common, period. Too damn many people wanting to socialize with me in person. Feck off!

1 Like

It’s hard to socalize when you feel completely mad and your thoughts are always in turmoil. And, talking with people just seems to increase the madness, because then you feel they are out to get you.

1 Like

I’m the exact same way @Joker.