How can you treat someone who doesn’t accept they are ill?

On 3 July 2014, Misty Mayo boarded a Greyhound bus bound for Los Angeles. Desperate to escape her hometown of Modesto in Stanislaus County, 300 miles north in California’s Central Valley, the 41-year-old thought the 4th of July fireworks in LA would be the perfect antidote.

Even a mugging at the Modesto bus station didn’t deter her. When she arrived in LA the next morning with just a few dollars in her pocket, Misty immediately asked a police officer for directions to the fireworks display. She also knew she would need to find a Target pharmacy to refill her medication, but decided it could wait until later.

Later came and went. With no money in a strange city, Misty found the bus system too confusing to navigate. The longer she went without her cocktail of antipsychotics to keep the worst symptoms of her schizoaffective disorder at bay, the more difficult it became to remember that she even needed medication. In the sweltering July heat, Misty roamed the streets of Santa Monica, trying to grab a few minutes of shut-eye where she could. Mostly, she was too afraid to sleep.

Misty’s worsening mental state left her combative and paranoid. Her memories of this time are vague at best, but hospital records show a series of psychiatric hospitalisations during July and August. She was arrested at least once. By now, Misty no longer recognised that she had a health problem. Not surprisingly, she didn’t take her medications once out of hospital, and the cycle repeated itself over and over.

6 Likes

Depot medications can help a lot with this type of thing.

1 Like

Wen they r well u cud see if they want to sign a document agreeing that they want to b injected if they r too unwell too see the benefits of medication. In my country they can inject anyone hu is obviously schizophrenic against their will. It helped me but I can’t speak for everyone

1 Like

Took an abilify injection a few months ago. Would avoid if oral works well enough. Made me depressed.

I understand this. I got really depressed on paliperidone. I also got very impulsive

1 Like

I live in an AOT situation and am stable for the first time in years. Been here 14 years.

1 Like

My care coordinator/depot nurse wishes for me to switch to this from Consta. It’s been about 9 months since she suggested it. Pinning the pdoc down to sanction it is the issue. He went off sick for a while and is currently on a restricted workload .

1 Like

Hopefully u don’t get the side effects of it