How can I train myself to be happier?

I am usually worrying/stressing over something how can I stop this and live in the moment and be happy?

6 Likes

You might be need a anti depressant if you have worry about future (anxiety?)i found prozac really helpful for my anxiety

3 Likes

What’s that saying? “It’s really about the small things in life.” Try and revel in small pleasures. Like petting animals, or having a cup of coffee, or watching a really well made movie.

I understand though. I used to be depressed a lot because my best friend died at a young age.

I’m doing much better though.

Take care of yourself.

3 Likes

Do a “gratitude” list and write down all of the things that are good in your life.

6 Likes

Tell yourself to not be discontented with life.

1 Like

I used to keep a newspaper clipping that said “I choose to be happy”. I realized I had to choose happiness every day. I had to actively look for things that were positive. I’m doing much better now. I don’t feel depressed. I feel anxiou but not depressed. Now I just need to better deal with anxiety

2 Likes

When I think a lot, I break my thoughts up by saying ‘talking, talking’.

It helps to become calmer.

1 Like

I feel like anyone could tell you an answer, but you gotta find it for yourself.

At this point in time I just don’t worry about anything but wasn’t always like this. 4 or 5 years I was lowest of the low depressed. Hang in there :slight_smile:

1 Like

Maybe setting goals. It gives direction.

Meaningful goals to you.

2 Likes

Have a daily gratitude practice. Get a new notebook and write down ten things that you are grateful for. Then, every day, add one new thing that you are grateful for until after a month, you have about 40 things that you are grateful for. Then start over. Do this as long as you need to or want to in order to keep yourself grateful and happy. Gratitude is the secret to happiness.

If you can’t think of ten things, or even one thing you are grateful for, start with body parts. Examples, I’m grateful for my eyes to see, grateful for my legs to walk, etc…

5 Likes

I dont know about this @SkinnyMe , while I think gratitude helps, I dont think it is “the force” that will make one happy or snap them out of depression. I am grateful for everything I have, love those around me and am maxed out on antidepressants. But if you come to me tomorrow and give me a choice to bow out without disturbing my family, then I am out of here.

2 Likes

Its not that im ungrateful its just stress/worry ruins my day everyday

2 Likes

Mindfulness meditation is very powerful.
As is exercise.

Sometimes people recommend making a journal and writing things you are thankful or grateful for. “Gratitude diary”. Can be really small things like moments with close friends, good music etc.

2 Likes

Yes. That’s my attitude exactly. Make the best of things.

1 Like

Interesting @Sherlock. I was mistaken. I guess everyones individual case and situation is different then. Thank you.

A gratitude practice can help, but it isn’t always the whole picture.

2 Likes

I wonder instead of gratitude journaling if keeping statistics would be a good practice. I keep track of days I sleep well, brush my cat and eat green vegetables for example. You could probably come up with a fairly objective score on how good your day is going based on a handful of criteria. Statistically some days are going to be sh*t shows but on a small percentage of days many good things will align. It might help to see really what that looks like since our memories are probably poor indicators of how our life is really going.

2 Likes

The greatest happiness is virtue and the greatest earthly happiness is Health. Health comes from balance.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.