How can I teach my partner about MI?

I am pretty sane and doing well on most days for now but the poor guy is probably exhausted.
The negativity, talking to myself, always saying I will leave and actually leaving a couple times.

He has been through a lot but I don’t think he still understands my condition to be able to help me.
He does not know when I am sick and when I am not. It does not show on me.

How can I make him understand better?

Make him ill…

1 Like

I find that normal fear getting mi… so start by asking do you think they are treating my condition in the right way?

1 Like

Talk him to a hospital psychiatric ward. Let him tag along the next time you see your psychiatrist.

1 Like

Find a website about schizophrenia that explains symptoms, causes, prognosis, medications, relapse prevention etc. and have him read it. You could find a site about schizophrenia that explains it in simple terms and would not take more than 15 or twenty minutes to read.

Taking 20 minutes out of a 24 hour day to read something is not that much to ask.

1 Like

Teach him how you’d like to be treated when you think your not doing well.

1 Like

Tell him what the signs are that you’re not doing well, and try to explain what it would be best for him to do.

1 Like

It might be worth taking him to your next appointment and allow your pdoc to explain it to him

2 Likes

Ask him to make allowances when you’re acting up and to think of it as the result of your mental illness. Tell him you don’t completely understand it yourself. Let him know that underneath it all you do care about him.

1 Like

I agree with @anon1571434. Next time your feeling ill, put lsd in his coffee. Just be a couple of crazies together.

Or you could take the high road and educate him. :roll_eyes:

1 Like

How much education does on need? A lot of factors to consider. I don’t know their relationship but I bet she can pull it off.

1 Like