How can i help other depressed people?

I want to start volunteering again since i don’t have a job. I was thinking of volunteering for the rabbit society to help the bunnies. But i also wanted to help kids and teens who are suffering from depression or onset schizoaffective or schizophrenia. I just don’t know where to start. Any suggestions?

3 Likes

You are doing a good deed by being on this forum. Don’t you realize that when we support, counsel and advise each other on this forum, we are volunteering our time and talents to this forum for the good of each other?

3 Likes

If you want to work/volunteer with people who have mental illnesses, maybe you could start by taking a course or nightclasses on how? :slight_smile:
I’m sure there are also a lot of clubs or unions about that, where you can contact them and ask if they need volunteers.

1 Like

What about volunteering on a crisis / counselling hotline?

2 Likes

Being concentrated when listening without distraction is the half way if not the all way, where ever you see these patients,

1 Like

Something I realized from dealing with severe depression that really helped me is knowing that your thoughts are warped during that time. Your brain is going to twist all your memories so it seems like there are no good ones anymore. That your life has never been good and never will be. None of it’s true. Pretty much nothing you do can end a depressive episode-its not like popping excedrin for a headache. You have to be aware your thought process is messed up, and just do the best to keep yourself alive and safe until the episode passes. KNOW the episode will pass.

If you can’t keep yourself safe and alive then get help. Sometimes the pain is so strong that it overwhelms the ability to think of anything else and when that happens it’s time to get help.

Also keep hope in finding the right medication. I haven’t had a depressive episode or mood swings in nearly 6 months now which is the longest period of time I’ve ever gone without since before I got it chronically.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.