How can I have dates with schizophrenia?

For me the best thing is to have found someone with a mental illness.This is how we understand each other.

1 Like

If you are a male schizophrenic that can’t work you probably should try to build your life around the fact that it will be hard to find someone that would accept to be with you.
So I would focus on friends and hobbies, maybe you will find a partner but it is also possible that you will not so it would just be a bonus.

4 Likes

I dated a girl as schizophrenic. It was a disaster. Also note that schizophrenia can be inherited from parents. I attach myself to previous messages who claimed that it is generally better to give up on breeding.

Yes I think it is an advantage to have some things going for you. Many people find it important that their (potential) partner has a job. I suppose you can compensate that with volunteering, studying, or perhaps some interesting hobbies that you are really passionate about. Not only because the other looks for that, but also because it helps you to carry yourself with a bit more confidence - which helps a great deal. IMO it would be a good idea to develop such things before thinking of seriously dating.

2 Likes

It is interesting you make the distinction of being a male sz being unable to date and thus infer it is easier for a female sz to date. I agree but it would be interesting to discuss the reasons why that is the case.

Why do you think that is? :slight_smile:

1 Like

In most cultures the males are supposed to be the foundation of the family and support it while the wife is pregnant and can’t work or caring for the children.

Personally I don’t like this state of things and wish househusbands were accepted like housewives.

6 Likes

I think its because just being pregnant and raising kids is a job for females. Its ok for them to not work and raise kids but thats not ok for guys. My gf left me after 5 years bcz I wasnt able to work. She told me that she doesnt want a big baby staying at her house 24/7 while she is working.

1 Like

Anyways dating is not important.

2 Likes

Interesting!

The females are looking for a partner that can provide for them and their subsequent children and if they can’t then the chances of finding one is limited.

I guess for homosexuals the chances of finding a partner is increased as children aren’t directly in the equation.

I presume men will accept a sz woman as looks are the priority rather than economic status.

Times are a changing. Don’t Scandanivian countries lead the way with parental leave equal among the sexes? But you are right, at present it is mostly unequal.

1 Like

I think they can adopt children.

1 Like

@Aziz

I said directly as in not automatically.

Why not? Why isn’t dating to see if a future partner is compatible absolutely vital?

I’m not into arranged marriages myself.

1 Like

I meant survival is more important like I would chose being able to work over a partner and no job. There are more important things in life. I just see it as something extra and I had a gf for 5 years.

1 Like

Interesting that you see work as the most important factor in your life.

Hopefully one day you’ll be able to return to it. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Thanks, of course we need money to eat and live.

1 Like

Work also gives me confidence in myself.

My wife admitted that she wouldn’t have been interested in me when we met if I wasn’t able to support myself, she wasn’t looking to take on a dependent.

6 Likes

@Aziz

I suppose that as exemplified by @shutterbug that if you get a job as a matter of priority then the rest follows. It is certainly more likely to.

2 Likes

I had a profile on No Longer Lonely in my 20’s. Didn’t really talk to anyone I was too shy and didn’t meet anyone through it at all. It’s a dating site for people with mental illnesses. I’ve had like 2 dates in my 30’s. One was with a much younger girl I think she was 18. She asked for my number and I stopped by her house. She made tea and we sat in her bedroom and watched some tv and made out. The other was an old friend I had already sort of hooked up with we were at her 27th birthday party and we made out while swimming in an indoor pool. Pretty sad. My early 20’s were pretty sad as far as dating. I lived with a friend for 7 months before I flipped out and moved back home. We werent involved romantically. There was a few years there without anyone. I made out with a woman at a bar when I was 22 and then my mid 20’s I had 3 relationships one lasting off and on until my late 20’s. We recently started talking again but she lives in Texas now so I don’t know about us seeing each other.

1 Like

Before I was symptomatic with mental illness in my teens I had several longer relationships. My first was from 14-16 though we broke up a couple of times towards the end and she went out with other people. She was a best friend of mine and was very free spirited so it was hard at times being with her. The next was a relationship of a few months with this girl and then I met my next girlfriend when I was 17 we were together for over a year and a half and remained friends until I was 23 though we rarely saw each other at the end. We started a band together when she was in high school I dropped out and worked for the most part. She went on to start a band in her early 20’s and I used to go to her shows. She put out a few albums locally and did a short tour of Europe with a local band. I still have one of her ablums which is pretty good in one of her songs is actually a conversation
i had with her one very drunk night on the way home from a party.

1 Like