How can I be disciplined and lose weight?

Before sz I was 135lb, now on 6mg Risperdal I am 290lb. I want to lose weight. The longest I was able to diet, low fat low carb diet, was months ago for 1-2 months. I went down to 268lb but then at Christmas dinner we had tons of snacks and food, I couldn’t stop myself from eating and I broke my diet, that was the end of my 5 calories noodles diet.

I need to try again this diet but idk how I was able to do it last time. I was on 4mg risperdal and now I am on 6mg, maybe thats why?

Make achievable plans and follow through on them. Discipline is many small decisions and good planning. None of us have a lot of willpower over time, but we can compensate for that by planning for our shortcomings.

If you see that you keep eating, find a way to stop. Hide your snacks out of sight. Take a walk, or do something else for a while. Have healthy alternatives nearby. Low-effort and healthy food is great, especially with negative symptoms. A lot of healthy food requires cooking, but not everything. And exercise is great. It might not always be great for losing weight, but you will replace that fat with muscles, which is an even greater achievement.

2 Likes

Advertisement

1 Like

Is that a gym?

Don’t buy or have access to the crappy food!

I got down to 73 kg and have lived a 1500 calorie diet and still gained weight. I am now 77.5kg.

I don’t have biscuits or crisps in the house, I can’t eat cakes because of gluten as I am a coeliac. I don’t buy sweets for the sake of my teeth. I have no real sugar as I use stevia but still I have gained weight. It is ridiculous really.

If you start at a high weight though the first 10kg are easy to lose with a strict diet and exercise. It is harder going the lower the weight becomes.

Get locks on a snack cupboard so you don’t have access.

1 Like

Yeah. They’re big down here.

$10 a month

It’s actually a gym specifically for fat people. I was 300 lbs when I joined. I’m still a member :+1:

2 Likes

@anon9798425 @labratmat @anon99082702

I can’t really exercise now on 6mg risperdal, I’ll have to go down to 3-4mg again. I think diet is my only way.

1 Like

You’d be surprised what you’re capable of.

You have to want it really bad.

4 Likes

If you get going, it becomes easier. It’s just getting that first hump out of the way.

2 Likes

The problem is that I just eat what my parents bring home, sometimes they bring junk food like chocolate, chips, sweets, etc

Yes. You have to really want to lose weight as there is no quick fix @Aziz . It takes time and effort. Put a poster up of an ideal body to aim for perhaps. Think of why you want to lose weight and put the list on a wall. Make a chart to measure weight loss so you make it real.

1 Like

What if you tell them of your weight loss goals? What if you ask them to help you on your journey? Ask them to hide and lock treats away and discuss a diet plan with them so they can buy specific foods you need.

1 Like

I don’t think you need to go all gung ho to lose weight Aziz. I have been slowly losing weight just by walking my dog and small changes in my diet. I have gone from 248.8lbs down to 236. I guess it just depends how quickly you want to lose. I am satisfied with taking small steps and slowly losing weight. Easier to maintain too.

1 Like

I did many times especially when I was doing the diet but they don’t listen and keep calling me to come and eat junk food like chocolate with them.

1 Like

Even a small amount of exercise can have very significant effects on health.

I know the med side effects are bad but you should do what little exercise you can. It’s important.

2 Likes

I would recommend meal prep with Tupper wear. It’s good to have a plan. Without a plan were just flailing about in a sea of random meals with no control. Either that or just eat roughly the same thing swapping out different Meat and veggies and equivalent carbs. But I’d say use measuring cups. That’s my 2 cents

1 Like

Just keep your portions smaller

1 Like

Dude you’re becoming like them. A victim. Stop. Get a hold of yourself

So, while I agree exercise is important, I also know what it’s like to be almost 300 lbs. Honestly, getting in the habit of exercising is difficult. Getting in the habit of eating better is difficult. Don’t try to do both at the same time.

Change one habit at a time.

When I tried to lose weight in 2019 I chose to change my diet. I lost 93 lbs in about 8 months without changing my activity.

Can you cook your own food? Or are you at the mercy of what family cooks for you?

Are you able to buy your own food? Or will family provide food you ask for even if it’s something they wouldn’t normally eat?

The two biggest and most important changes I made were (1) using the Lose It! app and recording everything I ate. If you aren’t used to what portions should look like, I highly recommend getting a cheap kitchen scale and a set of measuring cups/spoons.

For the first week or two, don’t worry about changing or limiting what you eat, just measure and record it all. Get a good solid baseline.

(2) I changed my diet to almost exclusively produce, meat/eggs, limited nuts, and limited dairy.

And not a change for me, but still very helpful, I made weekly menus and did my best to stick to them. Also, when I would get that emotional or bored wanting to eat feeling, making and editing menus was a way I could think about food but not actually eat.

2 Likes