How can I be a nurse for MH with my own issues?

Would you think it’s possible to work with other suffers but not let your own health become a problem?

1 Like

From what my mom tells me, lots of psychiatric nurses have mental health problems. Of course, this usually isn’t schizophrenia, but I think as long as you are a good worker and you are stable it wouldn’t be impossible.

1 Like

You’d have your own insight to others for sure which would help. It’s not an easy profession but not unreasonable if your stable. That is the key. Nurses get some good time off and I’d be using that if your thinking of it. Holidays and sick days really can be beneficial if your not well…but I’d agree…stable is the priority.

2 Likes

Yes it’s possible with a lot of effort put into treatment. Being stable and being able to recover after an episode are the two keys for success.

There are a lot of other ways to help people that still have stress, but a different kind. I think I mentioned patient advocacy in a previous thread.

With that being said, if your heart is set on nursing then go be a nurse. The only way you’ll ever know is to try.

@Joker, If a nurse has his/her own MI issues under control with meds I would think that he/she would be an asset to the profession. However, if he/she does not have his/her symptoms under control, I would think that he/she should ask themselves, “how can I help my patients when I can’t even help myself?” That was my dilemma when I was working in nursing.

My psychosis has been stable for nearly two years now.

I have been battling anxiety for the last year, but looks like that is finally starting to respond to treatment.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 95 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.