House prices are crazy in London

London is bloody expensive… my parents bought a house over 30 years ago for around £45,000 and now it is valued at 534,000 to 630,000… isn’t it crazy? there is no way in this world that I can afford a house on a £12,000 per year salary. Heck, my partner on a £60,000 a year salary cannot afford a place in London so he bougth one outside … We plan to buy a bigger house but it looks like we will have to look outside of london but near a station with easy access into London for work

5 Likes

Well, you have castles on every other street, why don’t you rent one of them?

2 Likes

I’m really lucky really my parents have given me the money for my deposit. I know not everyone has that chance.

1 Like

On a salavery of less than £800 a month, I am not even able to afford rent on my mums other house… even if my partner chips in… its ridiculous.

2 Likes

I own part property with my family however I would ideally like to take my share and leave at some point… just not happened for another 3 years.

1 Like

Are fast food jobs and things like that still minimum wage in London? I am not sure how you are supposed to survive like that.

2 Likes

Know the feel Ish. I live in Surrey, and its the same problem. Virtually all of my friends have moved very far away from our hometown to be able to get housing at an affordable rate. I don’t know how I will ever manage to support myself here :frowning:

1 Like

Exactly, its a lot of minimum wage jobs. Yes.

2 Likes

Yeah, housing prices are ridiculous here too in this whole area.

2 Likes

I think I would move out of London if I lived there. It sounds like a really expensive place to live.

2 Likes

It is, but to me it’s worth it. It just feels like home. And I love the transport system. Very convenient and available. Just gotta watch how u spend

2 Likes

Yeah transport outside of London is not great … however I prefer the countryside life to the city life… so we will try to find something outside London but close enough if we need to travel in

1 Like

well, I earn roughly 10.92 an hour but I work part time… if I was working full time it would be easier by a little but I risk quitting my job for getting unwell… id rather work than not work even if it is part time

2 Likes

Same here I cant wait to finally get off of benefits.

2 Likes

I got a call last week from the universal credit people… im going back next week … but hope another lockdown doesn’t happen

2 Likes

The way of the future is hopefully working from home?

2 Likes

I would love that however admin work is usually not home based most the time… but if I carry on with my accounts qualification it makes it an option

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.