Hospital luggage

What sorts of things do you bring with you when you go inpatient, besides clothes? Anything special? I’m about to start packing and it got me wondering what other people take with them.

2 Likes

Well, I’m a smoker, so I make sure I bring enough nicotine with me.
Some sweets, a laptop and a phone charger, something to occupy me like colouring books or knitting things, books to read, and a stuffed animal to make me feel more comfortable at night.

I’m glad you’re going to the hospital. I hope you’ll have a nice stay. Keep us updated, but don’t feel pressured to “get well soon”. I’ve always hated that expression - getting well takes time, and nobody should be pressured to feel better asap.
Anyways, now I’m rambling.

But yeah. Good luck :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Do they let you have electronics? They never let me have them when I’m in the hospital.

3 Likes

Slippers. They take your shoes.

2 Likes

One hospital was strict about shoes and I had to wear socks. So if you have some type of shoe, slipper or boot with no laces, and couldn’t cause a problem, you might want to take them.

1 Like

It’s crazy how different hospitals are in other countries. No way would I be allowed to bring in nicotine, yarn, electronics, a charger,etc. I got in trouble one time for having too many hair ties.

2 Likes

The hospital wards here are split into two categories, open and closed.

I’ve only been in the open wards, for low-risk patients and they’re pretty lenient there.

In the closed wards, which are for psychotic or high-risk patients, nothing that resembles a cord is allowed, and they have to give the staff their cigarettes and ask them for permission to smoke one. Same with phones.

4 Likes

I took letter writing material and wrote a lot to my friends. I got the social worker to mail them for me. The nurses wouldn’t do it.

2 Likes

They always stuff me in the ward with the more dangerous patients, and people they let out of prison for a ‘mental health day’. I don’t know why, I don’t have a history of violence or trouble with the law.

3 Likes

When I went to the hospital, they took everything from me.
No cell phone, no electronics, no wallet, no belt, no laces - nothing.

3 Likes

I take at least 3 shirts and 2 pants/shorts. I used to take markers and pencils, but not anymore. I only got to use my crocheting stuff when I was manic, but not sure how the new hospital I used recently would do with yarn and hooks.

1 Like

I usually being my teddy bear, books, and crayons and paper.

1 Like

Same with all the hospitals I’ve been to.

1 Like

As for clothes, sometimes it is easiest to wear the hospital clothes (like surgical scrubs), if they will let you. If permitted, you might want to bring a cell phone and a charger. They charged my cell phone at the nurses’ station every night. It is wise to have them put tape on both and label them with your name. One last thing, bring nail clippers and ask them to keep them at the nurses’ station. I know they are dangerous but you should be allowed to clip your nails under supervision. When my nails get long they chip and that was painful.

2 Likes

Me neither.

Whenever I prepare to be admitted, I’m never admitted, so I don’t prepare anymore.

Besides clothes and the obvious like a toothbrush and paste, I only bring one photo each of my husband and my cats. Everything else gets confiscated anyway. I have the photos laminated so I can handle them without messing them up.

I definitely agree with slippers. That’s all I wore during my last inpatient stay.

Just want to wish you well and hope you get the help you need while you’re there.

1 Like

Last time I went to hospital i had nothing with me but my husband brought me my toothbrush and sanitary pads and comb. I also had some food as well. But that was in locked wards.

When I went to open wards I took clothes toiletries and books with and my cellphone and charger. Sometimes you can bring food too.

It depends on the type of ward you are in.

Good luck!

1 Like

i’ve been inpatient in psych hospitals.
never let me have anything with strings.
hell no to electronics.
no stuffed animals.
etc.
i guess it just depends on each hospital!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 95 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.