Horrible Intrusive Thougths

Having horrible unwanted thoughts relating to things making me feel like someone I’m really not. Anyone experience a similar thing?

1 Like

I don’t experience this, but I do experience very harmful intrusive thoughts.
I fight them with mantras.
Try to devise a mantra, or some mantras, to counter the content of the intrusive thoughts.
Use the mantras when the intrusive thoughts strike you, as much as needed, if need be dozens of times,
(repeat them in your head while paying attention to what you are saying) until the intrusive thoughts subside.
I am having substantial success with this technique.

3 Likes

Yes. Can you give some examples?

2 Likes

Yeah. It takes a long time to learn to separate those thoughts from who you really are. I read something in a book talking about intrusive thoughts once and it said “If you were a truly terrible person you would never have been concerned or disturbed by those thoughts at all”

As in just the sign that you are horrified by those thoughts and feel you are suffering from them shows that is not who you are. That made me feel better.

4 Likes

Intrusive thoughts can be a symptom of ocd. Then an antidepressant might help.

1 Like

From Wikipedia- just trying to help

According to Lee Baer, suppressing the thoughts only makes them stronger, and recognizing that bad thoughts do not signify that one is truly evil is one of the steps to overcoming them.[9] There is evidence of the benefit of acceptance as an alternative to suppression of intrusive thoughts. A study showed that those instructed to suppress intrusive thoughts experienced more distress after suppression, while patients instructed to accept the bad thoughts experienced decreased discomfort.[10]

I also got really distressed about the thoughts. It got me no where except wanting to leap off the edge of a mountain and days and months of deep depressive episodes. It took a lot of practice to finally decide that I’m not going to allow the thoughts to control my life or define me. I still have them and not happy about them but I’ve realized that getting upset or distressed just makes it worse. Stop trying to figure it out and just keep moving forward with a positive attitude.

3 Likes

Intrusive thoughts can be controlled…it’s a mind game…he used mantras…I just switch my mind off when I get them and meditate…everyone does what works for them. good luck…I know it sounds easier than it is.

1 Like

Hi @technomaniac,
I go thru horrible intrusive thoughts too, I feel like dying too. If I may ask what are your thoughts about? What I would do is to brainwash yourself that you’re a precious human being, that you’re beautiful, smart, kind.

2 Likes

Exactly. SUFFERING from the thoughts usually helps them start to back off for a while. A little while at least.