Hormones, Heart issues and Mental Health

I went to a new primary care doctor in NY who did a full lab workup of my thyroid, hormones, et all upon request. I found out that I have PCOS and abnormally high testosterone. That would explain the issues that started when I was a teenager: fatigue, unexplainable depression, complete lack of emotions and heart pain.

High testosterone in women can cause inability to lose weight and weight gain so a catch-22. However, when I was a teenager I was a size zero and thats when the problems started, and I started slowly gaining weight and having issues losing it after that. I was active in sports as well. I didnt understand why other people could eat so many things and I would have one drink of pepsi and suddenly gain weight. I have an explainable reason for things now and I think its treatable.

I am still researching and learning more about it, and trying to see if there are healthy things I can do to help treat this condition. I’m hopeful it will lesson my depression and normalize my gender-expression. Maybe a boost in mood will help me lose weight faster as I will be able to be more active and engaged, I already am starting to have more energy and am walking more.

I don’t know if this explains the bipolar or schizoaffective, but it could be linked or made it more severe. I’m watching a video about it and he says cut out caffeine and stimulants. I dont know if I have adrenal issues…or if thats linked too. Still trying to make sense of all this. Does anyone know of a treatment or is hormone treatment safe like hormone blockers?

1 Like

Sounds like it would be worthwhile talking to a professional about it. I don’t know anything about it. Well done in getting it diagnosed though.

2 Likes

I’ve known several women with the condition but I don’t know what treatments they had. I know all of them had chin hairs that bothered them a lot and a certain body shape that I thought was cute but that they themselves were not happy with. A pear. I recommend speaking with your doctor like @everhopeful said and I also am happy that you got yourself a diagnosis and answers.

2 Likes

Good luck @anon57496651 , I think you got some of my testosterone, as I have similar symptoms but because my body is not making enough T.
I’ll be glad to take some of yours :wink:

1 Like

I found a good video on it. It doesn’t seem like something that can be cured or will just go away. Even with weight loss, I will always have to control this. Thankfully the people who work here are fast-tracking me to NYU system and will help me treat this condition.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 95 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.