Homeless truck driver

Yeah. At will is how I got fired for getting injured at the school I worked for.

Nice - thatā€™s some real compassion there. You canā€™t get a home without a job and you canā€™t get a job without a home. Great way to start a positive feedback loop.

1 Like

It is truly terrible. Thatā€™s also why so many Americans here advise people not to disclose their illness to employers.

I cutoff communications with the truck driver sleeping in a storage unit. Too much stress on me. If he doesnā€™t have common sense not to do that, willingly sleeps there instead of seeking an apartment which he does have the money to do, rent an apartment.

One friend of mine noted that storage unit businesses typically lock their parking lots at night, which would prevent him from using a garage as a living space.
This one doesnā€™t. The Sherriff patrols at night and wakes him up. The owner now knows he sleeps there, but heā€™s not stealing or hurting anything, so the police have been unable to get him out of there.

His employer is unhappy with him, he works for a name brand dairy, picks up raw milk and delivers it to the bottler and cheese processing plant. He almost brags that heā€™s living in this garage, his employer thinks heā€™s making them and the milk producers look bad. Heā€™s paid $20/hour yet complaining heā€™s not paid well enough. I think he needs a pdoc quite frankly.

$20 an hour is a good income from the current economic standards, but there are apartments in the city that are smaller than that and cost $1,000 or more a month. Iā€™ve stayed in hostels in NYC that were claustrophobic and spent $100 or more for one night there. I found one hostel that was wonderful though in Brooklyn that had a lot of space and the payment was less or the same and worth it. I honestly think everyone should have a house if they canā€™t afford one. I donā€™t see it as welfare or bigger government to make sure the community and public welfare is taken care of. I donā€™t think there should be caps on income to be provided a home and food either. I hate the SNAP program for food stamps. Because I got a small allowance I was unable to use the benefits. I got $40 a month and had to do volunteer work. I was denied disability three times and told I didnā€™t have the ā€œexpressionā€ of a muscle disorder or a psychiatric disorder. Then got a bill in the mail from the IRS for like $180 and I went there to check on it, they said I didnā€™t owe any taxes because I didnā€™t have taxable income. That was after the snap benefits were canceled because I missed the second able bodied adults meeting. I tend to work super hard and do more than everyone else and not get credit. People like to not help me or use me for themselves. I am tired of the way things are run in America. People who are starving need food. No single person under any circumstances should be denied food whether they are a child an infant an adult or older. I canā€™t stand to see people in this system anymore. Iā€™m tired of driving by seeing the same honeless veterans with signs. The police criminalize anyone and discriminate. Issues of economic poverty are ignored, gangs and drugs pour into cities and towns and then people start selling drugs because there is no other option for them. Think about it.

Heā€™s not selling drugs and they know heā€™s there it shouldnā€™t be an issue. But the solution would be for the company to offer him an apartment or grant because that would solve their image problem.

Thanks for the urban viewpoint, but this is obviously a rural area and a small apartment is $500-$600 a month.

So whatā€™s the issue? Are you implying heā€™s too lazy or selfish to rent an apartment?

He wants to hang out in my house. Poor decision making, I wouldnā€™t trust him here.

Do you think he would agree to get some help?

No, I donā€™t think heā€™d get help. I think heā€™s depressed , not thinking straight, and admits heā€™s not the smartest guy.

Iā€™m sure he will be ok.

1 Like

In Miami I learned that it was better sometimes not to pay attention to what others doing. I often parked my auto in one library parking lot and then I observed what one person did in every morning and evening. Every morning he arrived with his pick-up truck and changed clothes to the business suit and took a business car parked in the parking lot and left to somewhere in Miami and then in the evening he arrived back, changed his clothes to ordinary clothes and took his pick-up truck and left again, leaving his business clothes in the business car in the parking lot. I thought he was an undercover cop. It seemed like that. Then I stopped observing him.

Well, this homeless man with a job driving a truck, would take me out for dinner and pay. He told me stories of when he moved in with other women during his life. Iā€™ve learned that he was investing in wining and dining me as I have a spare room. Iā€™m freaked out that I could innocently meet such a scam artist .

I bumped into this guy and heā€™s rented an apartment to move in next week he says

Big news of the week I ran into this guy and then he said he found an apartment upstairs from his ex wife. Yay.

Interesting topic. One guy here is a homeless driver/garage boy. He was always drunk until he met a lady that changed his way of life.Last time he brought a truck to the shop for new tires and wheels installation they ordered from 4WheelOnline, he mentioned he is purchasing an old but decent RV for them to live together. We havenā€™t seen him like for 6 months now.