Hitting jargonous overload

Blegh…

Trying to do my homework to get a good API integrated together.

So far I know I need OpenGL 3.0 and OpenGL Math… using SDL for the user interface and devices.

Those are fun to try and reincorporate into each other in a more streamlined way. OpenGL SDK 2.0 includes GLUS… which is Open GL plus Open GL Extension Wrangler (GLEW) and OpenGL FrameWork (GLFW)… Hah see where I’m getting lost here?

GLFW would be a redundancy to use because SDL comes capable of handling windowing… so I want to nix that out… and GLEW is only useful under certain circumstances… instead of running baseline libraries different processors sort of transcended the functionality of the state of GL at their release… and the increased CPU/GPU op codes and environmental capabilities were compensated for with extensions… except ■■■■ from that timeframe is all more or less consolidated into newer releases of GL.

Trying to create a good legacy type compilation of libraries for anything that supports GL 3.0. Something that will always hold up for baseline programming with a wide range of compatibility.

Sucks that that still nixes out anything that uses OpenGL ES… unless I incorporate that as well. I guess I could center the focus around SDL 2.0 compatibility arch…

Damn got my head wrapped around all of that stuff but barely and without any real confidence at this point.

But the need to incorporate better handling and synthesis of sound has me reaching out there… and beyond that having networking included is coming up with a couple dozen options that have no real outstanding winner.

Got so much more homework to do before I feel another moment of clarity… and my head is hemorrhaging at the site of any new influx…

Anyone have experience with coding sound or networking? I know SDL is going to do fine for playing music or sounds and all that… but what about sound manipulation. I saw that Open Audio Language handles things like sounds over distance and the Doppler effect.

My goal is to create games that aren’t visual intensive… but instead use a lot of tricks to increase immersion by having more aspects of reality properly simulated. Focusing on lighting and sound… not so much photorealistic graphics and certainly a huge step down from the use of textures at all.

2 Likes

As much as I’d like to help, it is beyond me at this point. I have used C with OpenGL a long long time ago. I have even created a 3d scene with some basic animations and applied textures. But that was around 2004. My brain has been through a lot in the meantime. Right now I am wrapping my head around how to efficiently use Android Studio, and also learn a little bit about Firebase, a high end data storage and sharing solution by Google.

I have a technical background but I don’t have a clue what you’re talking about. :sunglasses: Sounds impressive though.

Java lands…

I think that c++ apps on Android will always have the edge aside from shoddy integration into the office environment.

I know I have to bite the bullet and get going with Java at some point, but Android is a platform I’m trying to support with my composite library.

@everhopeful I’m trying to reincorporate all the fragmented elements of the open source community’s approach to software development and get them all wrangled in and doctored to provide a more uniform type of access with 100% comprehensive and non platform specific code.

It hit that point of no return where it started escaping me. Gotta wait until the series of small incremental steps come to me.

The old nip tuck on header file structures…

Just realized while typing this I could make an emphasis on evaluating the libraries that most closely resemble each other’s naming scheme.

But damn… Hit my wall for now… Hours and hours of homework ahead of me.

Out there there are magical forum posts buried away by the sands of time that have all the answers I could ever need.

Bogus trying to track them all down.

2 Likes

Congratulations on studying!!

1 Like