High functioning schizophrenic?

@VanDam im also an English teacher and have been for 22 years. But for the last 12 years it’s been on and off. I’ve a masters in TEFL which was very interesting when doing it but not so practical in the country I’m in.

4 Likes

I got sick at 38 and was a very high functioning adult prior to the illness.

I am holding down a job now and I am still married and have a son but I am nowhere near the man I used to be.

I am 50 now and I think this is as good as it gets. It’s still a major disappointment.

So it depends on how you measure success.

3 Likes

The reason I’m asking so many questions is that I’m not sure if I’m schizophrenic. I’m on all the medicines which are needed to keep me stable and I have had a few psychotic events over the years. I have severe paranoia which scares the@#¥& out of me. At first I was diagnosed with a personality disorder and been on meds for that. But as situations have changed in my life I’ve picked up more schizophrenic traits. I’ve been medicated as a schizophrenic for the past 3/4 years but I have my doubts. I used to hear whispers and have psychosis often. But only a few definite schizophrenic events. I wonder if I’m high functioning, over reacting true schizophrenic or not. Of course I don’t want to be but as of late I have the heavy feeling of acceptance to this sickness, I know you’re not drs. But you all have valuable knowledge and I ask of you am I schizophrenic or not? Sorry for the rant I just feel lost.

1 Like

We aren’t suppose to try diagnose other members. Plus it’s hard to do with just a snapshot of your illness. I would refer you to this:

https://www.healthyplace.com/thought-disorders/schizophrenia-symptoms/how-is-schizophrenia-diagnosed

2 Likes

@Bowens im sorry I don’t know all the forums rules yet. I understand though that no one can diagnose truly apart from my dr. But he is Japanese and it’s my 2nd language and a lot gets lost in translation. I just worry that I’m all these strong medicines and I may be have been misdiagnosed. Everyone personal experiences on this forum gives me a little more insight and even a little acceptance.

1 Like

Not a problem. It’s easy for even us members that have been here awhile to forget that we aren’t suppose to diagnose. But I encourage you to read through that link. You seem like a smart guy and should be able to come to some sort of conclusion on you own based on the criteria listed for sz diagnosis on that page.

1 Like

@Bowens thank you. The past month I’ve been more accepting in my diagnosis. Previously I haven’t done much research on schizophrenia. But now I’m reading as much as possible on and offline.

1 Like

Of course the final diagnosis is up to a doctor

1 Like

@Bowens thank you for that web address. It is very useful to me.

1 Like

Thank you. I went through some very rough patches where I wasn’t sure if I was gonna make it. But now I am bathing in the sun.

1 Like

That’s cool. Which country are you from?

1 Like

@VanDam im from the uk but I have been in japan for 22 years. It has its pros and cons but where I live is so beautiful I don’t get homesick often. The mental health care here is great. I’m very lucky to have the dr I’ve got.

1 Like

Great, I teach Japanese students online. Through our conversations I know Japan isn’t for me as the work life is very stressful there. I’m very happy in Thailand though.

1 Like

All these answers sound good! Sadly I’m not high functioning lol. But this thread sets up some gold standards for my goals in recovery!

2 Likes

My case manager and psychiatrist both believe that I am high functioning and capable of a lot. But I think this is due to me being able to present well e.g wear nice clothes and am hygienic and can be well spoken at times.
I don’t think they realise how much I struggle with simple things. It’s kind of annoying to be told that I could be doing so much better when I’m already always putting 110 percent in to just maintain the level of wellness I’m currently at.

2 Likes

@Ozzyskits i know exactly what you mean. It takes so much effort to bathe and dress well so I don’t look and feel sick. I make the effort for my family so I don’t worry them so much. I use so much energy to project that I’m not I’ll to the outside world, it makes me wonder whether I’m actually sick or not. But then from a high I come crashing down in a wave and usually an event will happen be it paranoia or psychosis or even a massive panic attack. I never used to feel such things but now they are so common. I isolate most of the time and only get sorted to go to my psychiatrist and then my diabetes dr. But I do wonder is it me being lazy or a sickness pulling me down. Recently I started working again and projecting an image of good health and mental stability. But I could only hold that persona for a month and then I crashed and had to quit. For me this was huge. But I thought I could do it as a “norm”. But as everyone had told me I failed.

1 Like

@neanderthal yeah I feel I understand. I started a job recently and on my second shift I had a massive panic attack and left the job site. The stress caused me to have mild delusional thoughts as I was driving away from work.
It’s bloody hard dealing with this condition!

2 Likes

I would consider myself a high functioning schizophrenic. I work a part-time job, live in a lovely area and have a couple of pets.

2 Likes

@Ozzyskits i feel your pain. Just before starting your job we’re your symptoms light and you felt you could succeed? I thought I had it all together and would be able to work but everyone else doubted me. They were right but I said it’s better to try and fail rather than not try at all.

@Sezbot241 how long have you been able to be successful without a crash? What kind of pets do you have? Pets are quite a responsibility. I have a small budgie. Very easy to take care of and I don’t feel as lonely when everyone else is out. Also very grounding for me too.

1 Like