Hey SZA people, I got a question for you

I have been diagnosed sza for the last 23 years. I am on Risperdal Consta, Geodon, and Seroquel for psychosis, Celexa for depression, and Klonipin for anxiety. This regimen works great for me.

Everyone is different when it comes to what meds work. If you have issues with side effects of being deadened by antipsychotics seroquel or clozaril may be better for you do to their hit and run effect on the dopamine receptors. I felt real joy on quetiapine, versus zyprexa or geodon before where I has severe anhedonia. If you fear weight gain try aripiprazole or ziprasidone or haloperidol. Beware, ziprasidone has less efficacy for psychosis than risperidone so you may have breakthrough symptoms. Other than that it is unique among second generation for not being bad for your metabolic parameters. If I were you I would try quetiapine, xr just went generic so that is an option as well. The xr accumulates less in your system and has a longer timing of action (only slightly).

I take haldol and Zoloft they are both really cheap and works well for me. I say start with the less expensive and work by your way up.

I have never seen a psychiatrist that liked being told what medication they should prescribe.
I would be a good idea for you to learn the common effects of the different drugs, so that when the psychiatrist suggests something you will know what questions to ask about it.

2 Likes

I agree with @Simonw. Most doctors of all persuasions HATE being told what to prescribe. It’s like, “When did you graduate from medical school anyway?” It’s best to just tell the pdoc your symptoms and let them decide what meds are best for you. Let them do their job. It’s the same with nurse practitioners.

1 Like

Fair enough, I guess it can seem rude to just say something like that.
What if I gave a possible recommendation of a med though? Like just for them to see what they think?

Not good. Let the docs decide on meds. That’s what their training is for. It’s best for us as patients not to mention any meds, unless we know of specific meds that have worked for us in the past. It is never appropriate for us to suggest a new medication that we have never tried before. I can’t emphasize this enough. I’m speaking as a former R.N. here too.

I am on Latuda and like another person said it is very expensive without coverage.

Okay, I’ll see what they recommend then, hopefully it’s something my insurance covers though. Do you think they can find out by checking my insurance, what drugs will be covered on it?

I take effexor, welbutrin, abilify and zyprexa but i think ill have to start taking a mood stabilizer too…

Did you try the seroquel? If so how did it work out?