Help: Transitioning from higher end to lower end jobs

I got my degree after 6 years of studying and started working in corporate higher end Jobs like (project management and IT)

unfortunately even though these jobs pays well I don’t last long and its near impossible to sustain such jobs because of negative symptoms and work environment (meetings , social interactions and necissity of high focus)

after a long period of unemployment and financial hardship (disability in my country pay very low)
I decided now If I want to have an income I need to apply to lower end jobs but I dont know how to start cause any employer will ask why you are applying for this dead lower end job and you are over qualified
Also may ask some personal questions which can reveal my condition. This happend to me once not sure if it will contine with all other jobs I apply to.

My question: is there anyone who got a college degree worked higher end jobs and couldnt continue pursuing his career and is currently working a lower end job?

Also for thos who tried both Is working higher end jobs similar to lower end jobs regarding negative symptoms and social anxiety or is it Easier for you?

5 Likes

Important note: if you are experiencing severe negative symptoms I beg you save your money, time and effort and stop thinking about getting a university degree for job purposes. University is nothing compared to jobs trust me you will most likely end up disappointed. Focus on solving your negative symptoms and make it the priority

4 Likes

Been there.

I used my degree to get my first few big jobs and didn’t do so well.

Later in my life I realized it was too much and I needed to step back.

Honestly, I just kind changed my resume to suit the job.

If they didn’t require a degree and there was no need for one,

I left it off and just focused on my skills.

And in my experience the “lower end jobs” as you said,

Were just as, if not more difficult.

5 Likes

Can I ask what kind of lower end job you applied to?
+are you currently working now or stopped working ?

Thanks

They weren’t “lower end” they just weren’t what I went to school for.

But I was a receptionist, a surgical assistant, and for a bit, I even was a housekeeper.

I’ve stopped working for the past several years, but am hoping I’ll find a part time job that’s right for me in the future.

4 Likes

Wish you best luck @Charles_Foster
Thanks for your responce it was very helpful

1 Like

I’ve often wanted to change my line of work, because what I do is difficult (requires sustained focus and staying up to date with new technologies). I’ve applied for other jobs, maybe easier ones, I’ll never know because they didn’t contact me. So far it seems like the universe is conspiring to keep me in the current job, and I’m trying my best every day. Some days are easier, other days I can barely make it out alive.

I struggled with severe negative symptoms for 3-4 years, and I was jobless. But after that I started feeling better. I hope you can overcome this hurdle and pursue your dreams.

2 Likes

Have you considered entrepreneurship also? Starting your own side hustle.

I had to leave a higher paying I.T. role as the stress of it gave me a heart attack and was worsening my SZ symptoms. When asked why I was looking for work in a different field I explained that being good at something doesn’t mean you enjoy doing it. It turned out the field was not good for my health and I decided to move on from it. Never had anyone argue that.

4 Likes

I have a master’s degree and worked in research and as a project manager in the pharmaceutical world for years. I tried to get back on the labour market as a projectmanager, and it wasn’t for me.

I started by volunteering. To test what works and what doesnt.

I found myself a jobcoach specialized in people with MI. Together we will find out what my current strengths and weaknesses are. And my interests. And what is still possible. If anything. Here, government finances that, to get you out of disability. There are places here that specifically hire people with distance from the labour market.

I’m not sure if I’m ever able to work again, even in a lower end job, to be honest. I spoke with an employer though. And was sort-of-honest. I said my former job had too high stress for me, because of PTSD. That I didn’t work for a while. But volunteered a lot. And am capable of work, but not the type of job I did before. That she can get a government subsidy for hiring me. They were okay with that (it was a field where they needed many people).

7 Likes

I found a space in sales that isnt too demanding. For a small business, doesnt pay as much but its less stress and less pressure.

2 Likes

I’m about to do this I’m very excited

2 Likes

I have experienced something similar to you

Got myself several high end jobs - working for the likes of PwC and IBM for example but negatives got in the way and I couldnt sustain the jobs any longer. People were in disbelief when I quit these jobs - they kept talking about how they were great opportunities and I was throwing my life away, but hey, you gotta do what is best for you

So, now I’m running my own business - small startup doing digital marketing. It’s still intelectually stimulating but without the pressure and stress of a boss breathing down your neck

I’d suggest entrepreneurship for you - you can tailor your workload depending on your circumstances

4 Likes

For me at least, I thrive in more demanding and higher focus jobs. My first job was a day stocker at a grocery store, and while physically demanding, it was anything but stimulating to the brain and me intellectually. I had to quit, I was nearing another psychotic break if I kept at that part-time job.

Luckily, my next job was a bit better. At first I was on the construction crew, which was proved more beneficial. But after the electrician at the place wanted my help for the rest of the seasonal job, things finally looked bright regarding my vocational desires. I much preferred a job where I can learn and be engaged at. So, now I decided I want to be an electrician or HVAC technician as I have experience with both, and like both quite a bit

1 Like

How the digital marketing going? I have a friend that does that making instagram stories or other short form marketing vids for entrepreneurs

1 Like

It’s going well…we offer web design, social media marketing and search engine optimisation

3 Likes

Awesome good to hear :+1: :+1:

1 Like

Cool. Hope it works out well. Any ideas yet?

My hope is to work from home by some means
I donno what yet

1 Like

Thanks @anon21280033
A jobcoach specialized in with MI can be a great help.
I just want to ask where to find such jobcoach any website or platform and can coach me online.
Thanks

1 Like