Help the homeless

There wAs a woman at my old church who could get anything. She got crab legs donated for the food pantry and leg of lamb.

2 Likes

Used to work a bookstore frequented by homeless people. One guy kept asking for hot water. I was ignorantly assuming he was using it for drugs somehow. I asked him what he was doing with it and he pulled a ginger root out of his pocket and said he was making tea.

Nowadays I try to shed as much stigma as possible from my life.

2 Likes

A couple of months ago, I met a really nice lady who with her young son makes a few care packages a few times a month and goes and hands them out to homeless. She then became an actual charity and through some fund raising (at the church and selling T-shirts) she was able to get a group of people to help out, which in turn helped more homeless.

Over the holidays I’ve been on the lookout for cheap socks and (buy one get one) sales on peanut better and jelly or bottles of water, mini toothpaste etc. I’m slowly putting together supplies to either do my own care package run, or combine my resources with hers.

I think every little bit helps. Just giving them a few supplies can make them feel not forgotten. I agree not to give money (although I have) I think food, supplies and volunteering time and donating are better and doable for most people.

Last time I helped I saw a couple of them in full delusion mode, talking to themselves.Once I would have assumed it was drugs, sadly now I know Sz can cause the same reactions. It’s scary and sad to think of how much help these people really do need.

1 Like

There is this well known homeless shelter near my town.
Thinking about donating to them instead of the animal shelter.

They do good work.

1 Like

I gave someone a fiver yesterday. Thats the most money Ive ever given a homeless person on the streets.
Im not sure what made me do it but I just did

2 Likes

That’s great news…

Well done :two_hearts:

Sure u made his day lol

1 Like

I walked past on my way home and was relieved to see that he was eating food that i didnt see there before. rather than it being used for i dont know

3 Likes

I wasn’t able to donate as much money for Christmas as I wanted because my finances are in bad shape. I tend to donate overseas, because that is where I perceive the greatest need. What motivates me is those ads that say “you can save a child’s life for less than fifty cents”. I look at it as an easy way to justify my existence.

1 Like

I check organizations on CHARITY NAVIGATOR before I give to them.

I’ve been taught not to give money to individuals because they might struggle with how they spend it. Instead, ask them what they need and buy it for them-bus ticket, train ticket, groceries, etc or give them a ride.

Volunteer at a shelter or donate food.

2 Likes

I agree with most of what you said but i would be careful who i give a ride to. Lots of people with not-so-good intentions out there.

2 Likes

I went outside and smoked a cigarette at 30 degrees with high wind chill. Then I thought to myself, what if I had to sleep out here.

I’d die of an infection before the year is out. I’m glad as hell not to be homeless. I give dollars to people who are asking, and I’d like to do more, but when things are super bad self-preservation takes over and I stop caring for other people as much… probably because I’m too busy worrying about myself.

If I had actual money, like a disposable income, I’d write those panhandlers checks. I only see two or three people a year, I could afford a thousand dollars per person.

1 Like

Both are great to help, maybe alternate…:thinking:

3 Likes

i actually think the best thing to do is just talk to them, try and cheer them up bc they must get terribly depressed, its bad enough what their problems are but sleeping rough must make it even worse,

i saw a guy soaking wet selling the big issue when nobody was around and i thought the next time is see him i’m going to get him a coffee or something, i gave him some money, i didnt have a lot but i wish i’d have bought him a coffee, he was soaked through :frowning:

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.